Viessmann 100 hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, need a bit of advice.
Got V 100w, 11 years old, no problems till now.
Missed a few services from 7 till 10 years old.
No hot water, ch , ok.
Got engineer, used before, but not on boiler, new kitchen rads, he has diagnosed plate exchanger blocked.
Diverter seems ok.
He serviced it before covid, was ok.
Waited a week, for new grommets !, but he,s busy, he came yesterday teatime, after another job he,s on to take it out and clean it.
Had a bit of a struggle to get it out, until he took top of diverter off, then ok.
He,d only changed one on V before .

Gave it a clean with hose, no chems , quite a lot of crap came out, but water still sloshing inside.
, said he thinks it,s still blocked ?
refitted, leaked, off on again, ok, but no change, worse, “” , boiler not igniting now, but was prior to him working on it !
Waiting for him to price new plate, and change, means no hw again for a while, but ! why was ignition ok before , and not now, has he done some thing, disturbed something electrically, flow switch, etc, or could the plate still be blocked ?
Wouldn’t,t stop ignition ?
Getting some out should have improved it not made it worse.
A new one won,t work if ignition isn’t, working now !
I thought get ignition then decide to change or not ?
He said he,d phone V eissmans for advice, doesn’t,t I still one with confidence !
Doubt he will they will just say, change it ,then chase problem ?
Wonder whether to change boiler, rather than throw money at it, as it,s 11 years old.
Lost a bit of faith in him, watching him perform ! Me nosy , and like to know what’s what, was an engineer.
Some engineers don,t like that.!!!
Is it drastic to change boiler for what I deem a fixable problem, , or get another engineer, he gave me the impression he didn’t,t want to repeat the job, hence the long wait, busy on
Better jobs ? This is just a side job for him at night.
Will try and phone V myself today, see if they can help.
Input appreciated.
Cheers in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your not going to clean plate without putting chemical in it , I wash them out with fx/2
You could get a fixed price repair.

Hi lightening, thanks for reply.
Engineer actually said that just before leaving, that,s why I thought he didn’t,t want to continue.
Would been better just putting new one on in first place if not using chems,
But why no ignition now on hw, ok on ch still?
I said chemicals, his reply was, time ! And it did harm ?
How does one get a fixed price repair from V ?
Would you consider chucking money at it, or go for new ?

Last edited:
Hi lightening, thanks for reply.
Engineer actually said that just before leaving, that,s why I thought he didn’t,t want to continue.
I said chemicals, his reply was, time ! And it did harm ?
How does one get a fixed price repair from V ?

Sponsored Links
just call viessman and they will book a fixed price repair includes labour and materials

Cheers, will ring them at 9 am., see what my guy says, take it from ther.
Update.
Rang V this morning , they said flow switch if not igniting.?
Got tap showing on front for demand.
My engineer”?
Rang to say, they told him thermistor, £75.

As it was ok before he started, I can only assume he has damaged It when taking exchanger out ?
Don,t believe in coincidences , he should have fired it up before he started, to prove ignition was ok, I did, and it was .
Also, he cannot fit thermistor for a week if I want him back.
V want £320 fixed fee to fix it, but, not till next Tuesday, another week without any hot water. That must take into account that they may have to change several parts .
I know the exchanger is still mucked up, as has been stated, it cannot be cleaned properly without chems, so they could change thermistor, get it going ok, for it to go again in a week or so for blocked exchanger ! Or diverter, etc.
Do not know what guarantee V give on their work , probably just the part changed.
I would have booked it if it was in the next day or so, may have to yet,for Tuesday next if no other solution !
Only other way is if I change thermistor, myself, not sure how big a job it is, doesn’t, look big,but if that don,t work, ?!?
Any advice on fitting would be appreciated.
Not up to testing the existing one, which is what my engineer should do free .
In a quandary.
Could be worse, could have no CH.
Annoying that it ignited, now it doesn’t, but he still wants £21 for 4 grommets he bought for heat exchanger.
Causing me to fork out £320 .

Last edited:
When you work on a "system" it is not unusual for other, equally aged parts, on that system to fail, often due to nothing more than disturbance.

As a previous engineer, you should know this.

When you work on a "system" it is not unusual for other, equally aged parts, on that system to fail, often due to nothing more than disturbance.

As a previous engineer, you should know this.
I do know that, I was an engineer, not a fitter.
There,s a difference.
I couldn’t, phone anyone, my job couldn’t, wait for that, there were no mobiles then, it had to be fixed one way or another, even if I made the part myself .
I am old school, retired.
I did not walk off the job until it was fixed or I knew the problem , not follow a flow chart .
In my eyes he should have checked the flow switch and thermistor before he left the job .he should be qualified to do that!
Not phone V for advice the day after .
At the very least he should make an attempt to come back ASAP to fix it, I.e ,today, not a week later because he has something else on, or just doesn’t, want any more cock ups to happen on his watch .
Thanks for reply , insight as to some of the workmen ethics of today.

Thanks for reply , insight as to some of the workmen ethics of today.

You're welcome.
What you probably don't realise is that we are hindered by complicated electronics these days! Almost everything is controlled, dectected, measured and monitored by PCBs that are often the weakest link as they are made as cheap as they can be.

Some things just can't be fixed by being fabricated on site (built-in obsolescence) and, on boilers, can't be (modifying a gas appliance).

I'm sure things were very different in your day and, perhaps, in your field.

The reason for my response was just to level the playing field for you and others reading, as your "man" isn't here to defend himself and we are only getting your version of events.

Personally, I have worked for many ex-engineers from both my field and, more often than not other fields, and it is the latter that prove to be quite difficult to deal with.

My advice to you would be to change the Viessmann. It's 11 years old. They are notoriously expensive for spares (if you can get them) and unnecessarily complicated to control.

Ill leave the ethics to the philosophers :sneaky:

You're welcome.
What you probably don't realise is that we are hindered by complicated electronics these days! Almost everything is controlled, dectected, measured and monitored by PCBs that are often the weakest link as they are made as cheap as they can be.

Some things just can't be fixed by being fabricated on site (built-in obsolescence) and, on boilers, can't be (modifying a gas appliance).

I'm sure things were very different in your day and, perhaps, in your field.

The reason for my response was just to level the playing field for you and others reading, as your "man" isn't here to defend himself and we are only getting your version of events.

Personally, I have worked for many ex-engineers from both my field and, more often than not other fields, and it is the latter that prove to be quite difficult to deal with.

My advice to you would be to change the Viessmann. It's 11 years old. They are notoriously expensive for spares (if you can get them) and unnecessarily complicated to control.

Ill leave the ethics to the philosophers :sneaky:
Thanks for your reply.
No offence meant.
Each to their own.
Still say engineer should not have started job if he could not finish it.
Two weeks is a long time without hot water at 80.
Booked V for next tuesday, £327, but reading smallprint, may not cover the original problem, lot of clauses, too many for my liking.
Lots to pay to change a thermo or flow switch, and leave a part I know is going to give me problems, plate exchanger , still got crud in it .
Never needed parts before, first time it has needed fixing in11 years .
This is mostly down to my system, I think !, even though it was flushed when fitted, and drained several times since , for other jobs .

Got Worcester Bosch installer tomorrow, saying they could fit a new boiler before Tuesday ?
If they can, reviews are good, for what they are worth, know
People that have used them, may cancel V , and get a new new one fitted.
Ideal would have been another choice, but starting to smell now, got rid of tin bath a while ago.
Open for advice, time of the essence
Thanks for input by all, much appreciated.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back