Parts Obsolete On 4 Year Old Sime Boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A heating engineer mate recently told me about problems he had getting a part for a 4 year old Sime boiler. I think it was a pcb that he needed, but he couldn't get one anywhere, even the manufacturer, as the part is now obsolete.

Apparently, when he went back to the customer and told him, he went ape s**t. He accused my mate of trying to shaft him for a new boiler. He left, telling the customer that if he could locate the part himself he would willingly fit it.

Can a boiler be scrap after 4 years?

Sponsored Links
Some boiler models are so poorly designed and coupled with lack of maintenance etc they could be scrap after 4 years.

Sime have had a troubled past in this country. They're a large Italian manufacturer but several years ago the importer went bust AFAIR. At the time some parts were difficult to get hold off and an extortionate price...eg. 80 for a thermocouple. A few years ago they were still bad often waiting weeks for parts. Last time I dealt with them it took a few days for parts. No idea now but wouldn't touch them...

Thanks for the info GG.

Hmm. Italian. That explains a lot - says he, the owner of a Scudo. :cry:

The UK importer seemed to habe a serious gripe with Sime.

He shut down his firm but kept the telephone numbers and web site live so people carried on calling and emailing when there was no one available to answer.

Not too long afterwards Sime opened a UK branch but as they did not have access to the telephones etc. it was a long while before anyone realised they were there.

They hardly sell enough boilers to make a UK branch viable.

Tony

Sponsored Links
God help anyone with a 10 year warranty. I wont touch 'em'. Too much grief getting spares - now I know why. Thanks Tony and Guru.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back