BG blag

Agile said:
I expect the MTBF on an old boiler wouls be in excess of 12 years.

A modern combi perhaps 5 years?
You have GOT to be joking.

mehran said:
god help me if i do turn in to tony...i hope i have a better sense of hummer.
Do you like my sense of hummer?

humvie.jpg

Sponsored Links
no i like this one better :

i rely heavily on spell checkers, and read back what i think i have typed. it is why i don't write long posts.

mehran said:
been to a job today where there was a leak, bg came out knocked a hole in the chimney then told him that the leak was not covered( as the pipe was not sleeved), them IM the back boiler(as now the chimney has a hole in it) and told him he needed a new boiler. they also told him that he had to change it anyway in a few years as you are not allowed to have back boiler anymore.

just one more example of the way bg works.

wrong. one example of how a bad engineer works.

gas4you said:
nickso said:
[if you were that worried about it you would get a second opinion. the OP's customer obviously has. if you were not worried about it you could get a new boiler....from anyone.....or you could take your chances.

you still dont know the full story but are still talking rubbish.

I agree nick, I have been called out several times to customers who want a 2nd opinion after a locla BG employee who was not to your standard has told them they need a new boiler.

Worst one was when an old couple were told by the BG engineer at a yearly service that their back boiler could not be serviced anymore and would need replacing as it would not meet the new Part L regs coming in. :rolleyes:

I take my hat off to you for sticking with an organisation that seems to have more 'salesmen' than engineers like yourself:cool:

and another one.i wish someone in BG had the balls to sack these morons.

Sponsored Links
fitz1 said:
apparently the BG engineer told him that the boiler had caused the tank to overheat and burst. :rolleyes:

if thats true he needs sacking too.

update. ive been out today and could find nothing wrong with the boiler .the cyl though had sprung a leak around the seal of the coil and dripped onto the cyl stat which presumably blew the fuse.

Went to a job today and woman had been quoted £450 for a new copex because flames where licking out from back boiler.."your flue has collapsed and needs replacing" .1 hour later one desooted boiler working perfect and one happy customer. What is it with these INDEPENDENTS ripping people off,
Bit like the one the other week that wanted £500 for new honeywell motorised valve in a combi as it is a really special part.. twenty minutes later and new synchron motor really happy customer.. Customers husband letting guy who intended ripping them off come back and was going to give him a kicking, which in all honesty he deserved.

Ye BG rip customers but there i worse out there..

Fu#k amazing how many jump to slag BG but this has been here all night and nobody defends or slags the independents.. weird

Just over a week ago our combi boiler started leaking so I switched it off. Knowing nothing about boilers I rang BG as they're a big company and I thought I might be able to trust them. I asked for a quote to replace the boiler as it kept conking out last winter anyway.

Within 48 hours a guy from BG called to arrange an appointment for the next morning. His exact words were "I hope you don't think I'm being cheeky but I only want to come out if I know I'm definately getting the 10% deposit, are you able to pay the deposit tomorrow?". Being without any hot water and not knowing what to do (and also being naive) I agreed to this. Later after getting advice from members of the family I called this guy back to let him know I definately wanted a quote but wouldn't be paying a deposit until I'd had chance to at least see the quote.

Next day he called 5 minutes before he was supposed to arrive to advise he wouldn't be coming but had put the quote in the first class post. It was £3100 to replace a combi for a combi in the same position.

So I got another quote from an independant (recommended through word of mouth). No pushy tactics, came out and took a look at what was needed, quote came to £1900.

I'm not saying all BG is bad and all independants are good but there will always be a few bad eggs and unfortunately I spoke to one of them. The moral of the story is, always get more than one quote and always do your homework. That way nobody gets ripped off and bad eggs lose sales :)

There's nothing necessarily "wrong" or "bad" with the approach of that BG engineer - if it's the way he likes to operate then so be it. You've exercised your right to use another company.

Personally, I find it pretty tiresome that customers judge businesses according to their own criteria and personal agenda.

The plain truth is that each business decides on its own terms of trading, and either you accept those terms or you go somewhere else.

so, seemingly the moral of this post is to go elsewhere than BG.The customer has accepted my quote of 375 quid to swap cyl and cyl stat. At the present if needed the parts for his elan2 are still readily available.

i think the moral of the post is take everything bg tells you with a pinch of salt.

namsag said:
Went to a job today and woman had been quoted £450 for a new copex because flames where licking out from back boiler.."your flue has collapsed and needs replacing" .1 hour later one desooted boiler working perfect and one happy customer. What is it with these INDEPENDENTS ripping people off,
Bit like the one the other week that wanted £500 for new honeywell motorised valve in a combi as it is a really special part.. twenty minutes later and new synchron motor really happy customer.. Customers husband letting guy who intended ripping them off come back and was going to give him a kicking, which in all honesty he deserved.

Ye BG rip customers but there i worse out there..

I agree with you, but I wouldn't bother to clean or replace. I would just turn off and tell customer it is condemned. If they want a repair then there are loads out there who might do it.

I unfortunately have not got the time for repairs etc like this. Oh and I wouldn't charge to condemn it before anyone asks.

mehran said:
i think the moral of the post is take everything bg tells you with a pinch of salt.

and dont use mehran cos hes an illegal polish immigrant and doesnt have his acs.

How about the BG quote for a new boiler cos the case seals on a Profile are obselete??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back