Glow Worm 24ci boiler - hot water problem and damaged screw

im sure someone could get it done for that, id be surprised if not, agile i saw that on telly yesterday looked ok for a tenner might go and get one :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I had a go at seeing if i could move the screw and instead of using a Torx screwdriver in the inner part of the screw i used a flat headed one on the outer part of the screw. This allowed me to move the screw fine. I only turned the screw a quater of a turn though.

This however has left me a bit confused. Why didn't either the BG or GW engineer try that?! I can only think that maybe it is in fact another set of screws that are causing the problem?! I'm really puzzled now.

Before i go about calling an engineer out can someone please confirm that the screws in the pictures are the ones that hold the heat exchanger in place? I don't want to make a fool of myself calling someone out when I'm unscrewing the wrong screw. :)

Also to stop the heat exchanger getting full of limescale again is there anything that can be installed to prevent it?

Sponsored Links
Its just the TWO screws you have identified.

You must turn off mains water to boiler and isolate and drain boiler.

The plate will then usually come out through a hole in the chassis on the left hand side of the boiler IF there is about 200 mm space free. If not then it can get quite difficult.

As you have not been charged then you might as well replace it yourself if space to left. Its quite an easy job.

Its not limescale! Its debris in the system water side because it was not cleaned when the boiler was fitted. Get a new one but then set about cleaning the old one but fill it with water to stop the dirt from drying out.

Tony

Just thought i would update this thread. The plate heat exchanger was replaced (without the screws being a problem) by an independent engineer. All works ok now.

I also submitted a complaint to BG and the technical manager reply was he couldn't understand why the engineer couldn't remove the screw as apparently he is one of the engineers that he never has problems with. In the end i was basically told that this part isn't covered under their guarantee though anyway. I think i've learnt my lesson though now - stay away from BG.

With BG it all depends on who you get! Often the older the more helpful!

Dirt in the plate is NOT covered! But they can quote you for fitting a new one . Its very rare that we hear of any quote ever being given though. There is something wrong with the BG business model!

Sometimes we hear of the BG engineer cleaning the plate regardless that bits not officially covered.

Any independent would always quote for any work needed!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back