Glow Worm 24ci boiler - hot water problem and damaged screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently moved into a new house and found out that there is a problem with the boiler in that unless we have the hot water running at quite a low level the water end up pratically cold. This ends up meaning that it takes us about 20 mins to run a bath.

We had a British Gas (BG) engineer around to have a look at the problem and he suggested that it was probably the heat exchanger. The problem is however that at some point it looks like someone has damaged some of the screws which meant that after 30 mins of trying to get loose he said the boiler would need to be replaced unless Glow Worm (GW) knew any different. As such i got one of their engineers out but as soon as i told him about the damage screw he didn't even attempt to look at the problem and left.

I was just wondering as the boiler is only 5 years old do you think that it is likely that a new boiler would be required? Both the BG and GW engineers were not very keen on trying to drill the screw out but they were both on a fixed rate repair so not sure if they were keen on spending the time on it. The independents around here seem too busy to bother with work like this - they seem to just push a new boiler when i call them which obviously is the last thing i want to do.

If anyone can offer some advice on this it'll be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm a bit lost off here..... if its the combustion door seals. replace the heat ex and burner etc.....
what screw are they exactly banging on about????????
sounds like bone bloody idleness to me

and this screw has sheared off then or has just been rounded off? Any chance you can get a photo?

I'm a bit lost off here..... if its the combustion door seals. replace the heat ex and burner etc.....
what screw are they exactly banging on about????????
sounds like bone b****y idleness to me

I'll see if i can get a photo of the screw tomorrow. The BG engineer basically said that for the price i paid (my monthly £2 subscription and a fixed £99 call out charge) they were not willing to strip the boiler down and it would probably make more sense to replace the boiler. With the GW engineer it was a £300 fixed call out charge but once again he said it'll probably be beyond economical repair. Both times i got a complete refund.

I've phoned a few independent engineers but after i spoke to them they basically said they're too busy at the moment and as BG have already looked at it there weren't keen on coming out. It would seem at the moment they all have more work than they can handle.

They can't refuse to repair the appliance based on the time constraint. you paid your fixed fee and therefore should be doing it.....

what do you think the HamBurglar come round to look at the boiler????

They can't refuse to repair the appliance based on the time constraint. you paid your fixed fee and therefore should be doing it.....

There's a clause in the contract that says if the cost to repair exceeds the value of the boiler then they have a right to terminate the contract. To be fair though BG replaced the filter, fitted a flow restrictor and was about to replace the Heat Exchanger before the screw issue stopped him. All those parts must of cost much more than i paid.

Still its beggars belief that ONE screw is going to cause the boiler to be replaced.... are you on a homecare agreement? I'll await the photo with anticipation.... if you're on a homecare agreement and the boiler is under 7 years old, we'll replace it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back