Glow Worm 24ci boiler - hot water problem and damaged screw

Sponsored Links
now there is an offer you cant refuse...... where will you be walking home to anyway?

Sponsored Links
Reading the background it seems that its one of the two screws which hold the plate HE in place. I think they are Torx ­® amd probably a T20.

They can be a problem on this model and I had one where I could not remove one of the screws.

Ever resourceful, thats no problem to me because I just chemically cleaned it in situ. Still charged just the same £136.

Its not that difficult to drill out the screws but having exactly the right tool/drill bits as well as getting replacement screws would usually mean a second visit which makes our charging policy uneconomic to come back and replace the plate.

Tony

Thanks for the info Agile. I take it this is something any engineer should be able to do? If anyone here is near my location that's available to do the work i'd be interested about that too. I live in Witham which between Chelmsford and Colchester.

I've uploaded the pictures to http://www.richardadc.fastmail.co.uk If you open up the picture called boiler you'll be able to see where i've marked where the left and right pictures are taken of. I'm not sure if it's both or just one that has been rounded off.

Thanks

No way on gods earth is that boiler finished because of them screws.... they could be drilled out...... at the very worst the whole plastic hydroblock and plate heat ex could be replaced...... thats disgraceful writing off a boiler for that.......

Well Dave, why dont you intervene and get his local BG area to sort it out properly?

There was a screw extractor being advertised on one of the TV channels today! Like a left handed thread which could be put in an electric drill to remove chewed screws!

Tony

wish I could intervene mate, hard enough getting things done around my neck of the woods!

No way on gods earth is that boiler finished because of them screws.... they could be drilled out...... at the very worst the whole plastic hydroblock and plate heat ex could be replaced...... thats disgraceful writing off a boiler for that.......

Thanks Dave. If it was a case of the hydroblock needing to be replaced as well as the heat exchanger at a rough guest how much would you think that would cost including labour?

BTW i was on the priority response service so the boilder replacement wasn't included in that.

For prices like that you're better off asking the lads on here who have labour charges.... being a BG beefcake I wouldnt know..... BUT it will be cheaper than a new boiler.... still think a decent screw extractor would suffice, and patience...
There will be nothing wrong with the hydroblock... you could probably get it out, get the plate heat ex off it, fit a new one and put it back in.....

If anyone could give me a rough idea of how much it would cost to do that work it'll be much appreciated. So far i've been given a quote of £2K for a new condensing Vaillant ecoTEC plus 831 boiler. If the repair is likely to be much over the £300 mark i'd rather go with that.

BTW if i was to have a go at undoing those screws myself would it likely to cause any problems?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back