BG blag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a call today to go price a job. BG has been and drained his burst cyl and left him with heating only.They have told the customer the cyl and boiler are broken and the parts for his ideal elan(wich is obviously not broken)are obsolete, so he needs to get both replaced for the tidy sum of 2800 pounds.

Sponsored Links
Did they Fitz?, or is that what the customer thinks they said?. I would have told the customer they needed a new cylinder and recommended a replacement boiler aswell.

Sponsored Links
his words were that they cant repair boiler because the parts are obsolete.dont suppose he actually said boiler was broke, but thats the understanding he gave them. sounds like hes playing with words .

As I understand it, BG often tell customers (including me) that they can't get the parts for your old boiler.

However what this really means is that the BG spares depot doesn't stock them. It doen't mean that the parts are unobtainable.

BG Spares "depot" to my knowledge is their own HRPC warehouse in Leicester... Could be mistaken though.

JohnD said:
As I understand it, BG often tell customers (including me) that they can't get the parts for your old boiler.

However what this really means is that the BG spares depot doesn't stock them. It doen't mean that the parts are unobtainable.

It's actually when the manufacturer informs them (bg) they are no longer supplying certain parts for the boiler.

It is rare that BG cannot obtain any part that is avialable and has a team that spends a lot of time trying to locate obsolete parts from various suppliers. But some do slip through the net.

This sounds like yet another half story getting made up to sound worse than it originally was.. He left him with heating but told him it was broken . So how did engineer explain how boiler was producing heat..

Not much of a net though Nam... I've had customers that BG told their E-types and Kingfishers could not have spares sourced.

Twaddle I think you'll agree.

they say they can't get a new burner for my Flamingo. Apart from that and the iron exchanger, and a thermostat, I don't think there's much else under the cover.

I agree Absolute twaddle dan.. What i would say there is that is what they are told by say a dodgy engineer, but that part is in the stores or available if the customer phoned up they would get the true story..

Johnd ..What about your rads, pump ,motorised valves, cylinder and programmer.. flamingo`s are now over 24 years old so they maybe telling truth only way is to ask and hope you are being told the truth

customer the cyl and boiler are broken and the parts for his ideal elan(wich is obviously not broken)are obsolete, so he needs to get both replaced for the tidy sum of 2800 pounds

Did they actualy say and leave paper work saying that the boiler currently required a part that they could not obtain? (Im not trying to start an argument, just curious for myself)

As we very often (and if you go by the book-everytime your in a house) suposed to advise that we cant get all parts for a boiler. ie if i go to fix a trv and theve an old netaheat or something, Ive still to comment that we cant get all the parts, doesnt mean they must replace the boiler now.

How does he know its 2800? did he accept to have a salesman come out after the engeneer to quote him?

And for the record, as far as Im aware, BG are informed by the manufacturers when a part goes out of production, on hearing this BG class that as not being able to get all the parts, altho they will try and trace ones localy of from HRPC or whatever the plumbcentre parts is called.

They will however not take a part from the likes of ebay, 2nd hand, or from what they class as an unkown/untrustworthey source (anywhere thats not a well known name or genuine buisness Prob)

As they dont want to be buying in possible fake/dodgey parts.

So yes there will be times when they say no we cant get a part to fix it, and there is a part available somewhere, which I actually agree with, they need to watch their backs aswell.

(just to add, Im not saying there arnt lazy engeneers who may not tell the truth when it comes to this senario, I dont know any, but Im perfectly aware there will be)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back