BG & Glowworm Inset BBU 50 Back Boiler+ Gasfire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just after a bit of info/advise, thanks.

GlowWorm Inset BBU 50 - GC 44 047 02

I have had the BG Homecare package for about 4 years now without any incident, till yesterday.
After an annual inspection the engineer has turned off the gas supply at the meter (BBU50 being the only gas appliance in the house). He said with all the rain that we have been having, this has come down the chimney/flue liner causing rusted holes through the flue hood.

I was not there during the inspection but I got a phone call from him informing me that the parts required are now obsolete and advising that I have a new boiler installed. :eek:
I have looked at the papework he has left and there is no detailed report whatsoever or any faulty/damaged part details. All there is, is just a brief note basically reading what I have written above.

During his phone call he did mention flue hood, draught diverter and baffles. He also said the that BBU50 was 20 years old which I find surprising because I have only owned the house for 5 years and the previous owner (who had the boiler installed), had only lived there for 4years.

From his diagnosis, would you agree that the required parts are no longer available and the only option is a new boiler ?

What are your thoughts, guys?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get a registered installer to check it over//Sounds like BG are trying to have you off here mate............

Because of his explanation of how flue hood maybe rotted is very dubious it makes me suspicious but if it is rotted this type of part is usually obsolete or un obtainable.
Ask them for second opinion or phone glow worm and ask if part is avialable if it is get them back

That back boiler is certainly not 20 years if its the one I remember with auto ignition controls.However it may still be that flue hood parts are no longer available as a spare.Contact Gloworm for info on availability and then take it from there.BG engineers have laptop for parts listings which is not always 100% accurate.They also have a section that deals with searching for supposedly obsolete parts.Why is it that some people accuse firms of ripping people off when there is absolutely no evidence in this case?

Sponsored Links
said laptop says just about everything is special order which almost certainly means it's obsolete, including the bits you mention. last date of manufacture was 2001 BTW.

it's dead, get a new one.

bit of a poor show him not writing it down as well as informing you verbally though.

said laptop says just about everything is special order which almost certainly means it's obsolete"
Unless things have changed,special order meant not stocked at NDC.The parts for some of the latest boilers are marked that way and does not indicate that it is obsolete.

said laptop says just about everything is special order which almost certainly means it's obsolete"
Unless things have changed,special order meant not stocked at NDC.The parts for some of the latest boilers are marked that way and does not indicate that it is obsolete.

i agree, on a new boiler it means they have not been stocked yet due to lack of demand. special order marked on a part for a 10+ year old boiler almost certainly means it's obsolete unless it was never ordered by a BG engineer, those parts are rare on a simple boiler like this one.

if the flue hood is not obsolete i'll eat my bump cap. :)

Nickso, I bow to your greater knowledge.It will be interesting to know the outcome of this little saga.

Common sense tells from being in industry tells ya chance of part availability is very very low

Thanks for your replies guys.

I have being speaking to a chap at Parts Centre who has told me that they can get the parts from GlowWorm, 7-10 days. He has given me part no.s and their prices.

I since have phoned BG to query the eningeer's report, or lack of. Upon reading his notes on their system the customer services opertator said 'blah blah, blah...FLUE. Which is excluded in your agreement.'

I said from the enineer's phone call to me, he was saying something about the flue hood which is part of the appliance and so should be covered in the agreement.

She decided to call the engineer, after which she said it was too technical for her to try and explain to me and transferred my call directly to him.

When the engineer again told me what was failing (flue hood), I told him that this and some other parts were still available.

He then replied 'yes, they may still be able to be sourced but could take upto 2 weeks'

My answer was, 'if the parts are still available, then under my agreement these parts should be replaced'.

Engineer, 'the rain could have also effected the the flue liner and if this was failing it have to be addressed by an independent party because BG dont work on chimney/flues.'

He told me to tell the customer services operator, to send out another engineer to identify and order the required parts and test the flue. <- should he have not done this in the first place ?

The customer service operator first rang the engineer for confirmation before booking an appointment, made for this week.

I'm glad you have at least been able to source your parts as I suspected that they should still be obtainable for a boiler that may only be 10 yrs old.
Getting BG to supply and fix them will be a bit more difficult.Stick to your opinion that they are part of the appliance(they would have a part number) and the flue liner is not. I know for a fact that BG fit combustion boxes and flue hoods for Baxi boilers and there is no reason not to do the same for Gloworm.
If the boiler is maybe only 10 yrs old it maybe that the liner is that age.I would get the flue terminal checked for damage etc.(cement cracked,terminal faulty etc)

Don't think BG should be responsible for damage to the flue hood by your faulty flue.

looks like i had better butter up my bump cap. :LOL:

Hi guys,

To follow up ;

The initial BG engineer arrived via an appointment, got out his laptop and started tapping away then turned to me and said that the parts have now been ordered. :eek: :?:
I asked how comes as he has not touched the appliance to identify the required parts.
'I already know which parts are required from my first visit.'

I thought the purpose of this visit was to make a note of all parts required and also to test the flue to see if that is failing.
I asked 'if you already knew which parts were required then why didn't you just order them on your 1st visit?'
... think we really know why.

Apparently, BG require him to be actually present at the property to order any parts... 1 week without heating because of BG s**t system.

All that aside, BG have come through (if not a little late), and replaced faulty parts and recconected the appliance back into working order... which of course means that the flue/liner was ok!

Well done BG ....eventually and with some persuasion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back