Viessmans or Worcester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted a Worcester CDI 37 boiler but when the plumber came he said this model is crap and said the Viessman vitoden 100 is really good and cheaper. what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Personally I rate them as similar with WB having the slight edge on the grounds of manufacturer support.

Not that I would specify either as a first choice.

A simple search of the forum will answer your questions many thousands of times over.

Personally I rate them as similar with WB having the slight edge on the grounds of manufacturer support.

Not that I would specify either as a first choice.

A simple search of the forum will answer your questions many thousands of times over.

Thanks, this is what I am doing now but it seems that it's half half, some people prefer the WB others the viessman.

Ask 4 different installers, get 5 different answers. This is the gamble you take I am afraid.

You challenge is to find the installer with an "engineering judgement" as to his choice of boiler to install, rather than the number or reward points or T-Shirts he is going to get for the sale.

Sponsored Links
i will make it easy a viessmann 100 is an excelleng entry level contract boiler, to compare with a 37 CDI you need to go to the vitodens 200. Between these two the only real difference is the heat excahnger material...

What does anyone mean by a good boiler...ususally reliability, probably efficiency... both these are enhaned by using proprietary compensation controls such as the vitotronic 200. Worcester have something similar..Using these controls yo are applying the technology as the design engineers would have intended, as all boilers have to accept these type of controls...this appears to enhance boiler longevity...but no one in the UK has done any evaluation... we just keep using boilers on simple on-off controls....designed c1890 to control a light bulb...

Ideal make their own heat Exchangers as well - says nowt ;).

But as it happens - Intergas make their own heat exchangers too.

You can certainly buy better than Viessmann.

The Worcester weather comp controller is an excellent piece of equipment. It can even be set up without reading the book if you are familiar with these as its so obvious.

One feature that I like is that it has a setting where you can choose ( to the nearest 1% ) what significance the controller gives to the internal temperature.

Worcester boilers are often recommended to customers by installers. One would expect that is based on their engineering assessment?

Unfortunately, that is not the case! Worcester require their pet installers to fit minimum numbers of their boilers. That number is so high that it has to be virtually only Worcester boilers they fit otherwise they lose their benefits which are mostly related to extended waranty periods. The Worcester customer service though is probably the best of all the manufacturers.

Tony

Indeed Tony - my local rep keeps harassing me about the lack of boilers I have registered. Simple answer is - my judgement has been that there were better boilers in my arsenal to suit the job at hand.

Keeps telling me to fit their light commercial range - pretty sure I am not allowed to fit anything sold as a commercial appliance on my registration :LOL:

The truth is you cant really go wrong with any boiler, at least not a north european made one..

its how it is controlled that matters..on-off controls put different stresses and strains on boilers from compensation controls, my experience shows that boilers with these controls are more reliable...

What makes you think there are better than viessmann Dan...

Experience dear boy... ;)

Service a 100-W recently for a friend. Was not impressed in the least.

Not been impressed with Viessmann customer service - even when trying to buy their stuff.

Technical department seem happiest when talking about boilers they didn't even realise were sold in the UK.

many people had issues with the 100, I haven't but I only use in applications which require on-off controls...and have several out there..and no issues other than routine maintenance...

the 200 is fantastic in my opinion...with the the right controls...

technical help is second to none in my opinion..

I agree though that the "management stuff" needs work...but thats true of alot of boiler manufactures though.... not unique to viessmann

The Worcester boiler is certainly not crap.

Neither is the Viessmann.

We fit both, each have their good points and a few bad points. Your ultimate selection will be down to what matters the most to you in terms of reliability, support, physical wall size, and flueing options to suit your property.

I would find an installer with a more objective opinion. You could argue with someone over a BMW versus and Audi but neither is crap and one will appeal more to a certain type of buyer than another. When I do quotes I listen to what a customer needs and suggest the alternatives, with any pros and cons.

NB: If they wanted to have a Keston, that might elicit a more direct response.

Keeps telling me to fit their light commercial range - pretty sure I am not allowed to fit anything sold as a commercial appliance on my registration :LOL:

You need to specifically ask if their commercial boilers with an output <60 kW do need a commercial ACS.

Certainly Vaillant make that requirement although when I had a chat about it with an ex-engineer sales worman she hardly seemed to be aware of it and the effect it could be having on their sales.

There have been several posts about Veissmann in another place on this forum

Price of spare parts are horrendous ? Technical back up is poor ? service agents who are not very good ?

Plus the fact that the 100 combi is virtually an all plastic all rubber boiler ? german engineering at its best :) perhaps ??

WB ??
well if an RGI installed a plastic gas pipe in some one's house , behind a sealed metal panel , he could well find him self tasting prison food ?? WB seem to get away with it ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back