View of flue on annual service and inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently removed some board and insulation in a loft so a vertical flue could be passed through a ceiling, then through the 8" or so joist space, and then upwards and out through the loft space and out through the tiled roof.
I would like to put the board back and close off the joist space but this would mean that 8" of flue will not be visible. There is not a flue joint there, the joints are well below in the house and well above in the loft space.
So the question is, does the whole of the flue have to be visible for inspection or just the joints ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I cannot imagine an 8inch section,certainly without a joint is anything to worry about at all.They keep moving the goal posts and some jobsworth might pick up on it and quote some British standard that makes it an imminent threat to life on Earth

Depends if you get an rgi with common sense or not, most independent guys have and would just mention it whereas there's a chance national gas guys would 'at risk' as flue in void to cover their asse. That's the nonsense of the job these days.

The RGI who will inspect it is the guy who installed it and who I always use. I will put the board back.
If you are wondering why I am asking here and not asking him, I already have my answers in less time than I would have have been able to get him on the phone...his only weakness !!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I cannot imagine an 8inch section,certainly without a joint is anything to worry about at all.They keep moving the goal posts and some jobsworth might pick up on it and quote some British standard that makes it an imminent threat to life on Earth
Depends if you get an rgi with common sense or not, most independent guys have and would just mention it whereas there's a chance national gas guys would 'at risk' as flue in void to cover their asse. That's the nonsense of the job these days.

But , apart from a previous attendee, how would an RGI KNOW there is no joint?

TBh, a couple of surprising comments, the general rule here is CYA, sometimes to the point of stupidity. So there should be access. The exception is where the flue is passing through the ceiling, then through beside the junction of the roof and wall (I'm sure there must be a word for that :) ). Which is specifically mentioned on a TB. This may, of course, be the scenario to which the OP refers

Virtually done now. Couple of screws and it can be made visible to one and all. The small piece of board around the pipe can be removed and left off if needs be.

Last edited:
For me the length of flue either side of where it passes through would be a very strong indication of where a joint would be and also the fact that you could see the flue supported in its entirety apart from that 20cm. I personally think I could make a pretty sound judgement from that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back