Vintage Mixer tap is it buggered beyond repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have an old mixer tap I want to install in the bath.
I did a test on it and the cold tap leaked like mad.
Upon stripping down I discovered the following:
upload_2021-6-20_14-56-22.jpeg

The hot tap looked like this
upload_2021-6-20_14-57-20.jpeg

The shaft with the washer has obviously broken.
I guess the only thing would be to replace the whole central part? If so where would i be able to buy such a thing?
Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-20_14-54-31.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-20_14-54-31.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Nope, I wouldn't say it has snapped, it'll be a loose jumper/carrier.

The one that is separate should just push back up inside the threaded shaft, once you fit a new washer to it of course, it will then be held there by the threaded shaft which engage the threads in the body and then secured by the gland nut. You may also have to pack out the gland to stop that weeping when re-assembled.

The other one should probably be loose too but may be stuck inside the shaft by corrosion. They should be loose so when the tap is tightened down the jumper/carrier can spin freely inside the shaft so it doesn't wear the washer out on the seat.

1. Doesn't look broken to me, looks like a loose jumper.
2. Suspect the hot one is jammed in its bore with lime scale.
3. If it's leaking from the spout, then it needs a new washer, and the seat may need re-cutting.
4. If its leaking from the around the spindle, then the gland packing needs renewing. Plenty of suggestions on the internet on repacking a gland nut.
5. Terminal issues:
5a. Seat needs re-cutting, but there is not enough metal left, or too much has to be taken out to allow the washer to seat.
5b. The gland nut needs repacking, but the spindle it too worn to permit it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the replies. The " broken" one had been cleaned but I hadnt started on the other one- as it didnt fall out i presumed they wernt supposed to!
As ever most helpful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back