Vinyl Click ‐ Under or around shower tray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've (hopefully) just about finished the plumbing in my bathroom renovation and it's almost time to reinstall the floor.
I understand that when tiling, best practice is to tile the entire area and then locate the shower tray on top of the tiles, but what is the best solution for vinyl click flooring?
Should I install the shower tray over the vinyl click, or would it be better to lay the vinyl after the tray has been installed? What about the WC and basin?
The shower tray is 50mm low profile and I plan on installing it directly to the floor.

Also, as I'm replacing the entire subfloor with fresh 22mm chipboard, am I right in thinking that a ply lining won't be necessary?

Ta!

Sponsored Links
Shower tray in first, as the whole thing has to be properly supported underneath to avoid movement and cracking.
They never go over tiles or any other finished floor covering.
Toilet and basin can go in afterwards which will make fitting the floor easier as it won't need to be cut around them.

Chipboard is a poor choice in a bathroom, as it will be destroyed when it gets wet. A plywood floor would be a much better and longer lasting choice.

Thanks for the clarification!

Re: chipboard subfloor. I will be going over the 22mm chipboard with a layer of 9mm ply, then sealing the gaps/seams with acoustic sealant before installing the tray. That should keep things relatively dry underneath should the worst happen!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back