Vinyl Floor covering lifting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last December I have new vinyl flooring fitted in my kitchen. Approx 4m x 3m and a few in's and out's. Recently it has started rippling/lifting/bubbling call it what you will but the appearance is spoilt.
I want to re-lay it and remedy the problem it probably is not as simple as I think which is empty the room roll it back and glue it down ( bare concrete underneath) or is it?

Any advice or recommendations gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
who fitted it? you? or a pro?

if a pro it is still under guarantee ring them up!

If you then more info needed and ideally some photos

Could be damp issue.
Was the concrete smooth? Maybe should of been latex screeded.

Sponsored Links
Could be damp issue.
Was the concrete smooth? Maybe should of been latex screeded.

Well knowing the quality of their fitting.....

....I would say it needs trimming

....Oh and Nick - "put them on notice" that you will be expecting a replacement if the ripples do not go away within 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!

It's very common for vinyl to expand a bit if it's fitted during cold weather, it's not un-common to retrim vinyl's during the first year.

It's also very common if there are issues with moisture in the subfloor for vinyls to bubble, no amount of trimming will resolve the issue.

The main issue you have is you won't have a contract for the fitting with Carpet Right. Your contract is with the fitter that fitted it and whom you paid for their services. Good luck talking to Carpet Right, they probably won't be too interested but may be able to put you in contact with the fitter, whom you will have to chase. Hopefully they will pop round and trim it for you. If theres a problem with the subfloor moisture, it's the fitters responsibility to sort it, not Carpet Right's, good luck sorting that one. Carpet Right is not renowned for their customer service response to fitting issues, not all the fitters are bad eggs though, so hopefully they'll happily pop round and sort it.

Thanks to all for your replies. Point noted about the two seperate contracts. I went into Carpetright on Friday evening and the fitter is coming round to asess today. It was fitted in December so yes was cold and has from what is being said possibly stretched with foot traffic (worst in heavy traffic areas) and warmth. Will update later.

Good luck, it sounds like its just expanded a bit and needs cutting in. I'd be surprised if it stretched through domestic foot traffic, so a wuick trim and you should be sorted.

1. You imply that the drop was loose laid - is that the case?
Or is it fully glued down or perimeter fixed?

2. Is it on a concrete slab or screed? Was the slab or screed fully dry and mature?

3. Do the edges of the sheet go under skirtings, door casings or thresholds?
Has any single heavy object eg an appliance, been placed on the floor?
Has heating been installed post vinyl?

4. All-in-all, i'd go with the trimming/summer expansion possibilities.

Well the fitter arrived - he denied it was him who did the original installation however still put it right. So either way fair play. I must admit having read various interweb comments I was expecting to have a lot more aggreviation between Carpetright/Fitter and myself as to who was going to take responsibility for putting it right.

Raise complaint instore Friday - Fitter on site and proplem rectified Monday - In my book that's top service.

TBH I have no idea - I was at work, wy wife was the one who was in and she well she likes to use fifty words when one will do ..... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back