Vinyl Floor Covering

Jim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Six months ago my new bathroom was finished off with vinyl floor covering. After it was laid the plumber sealed all the edges with high quality sealant. Now the vinyl has "rucked" and I have to remove the vinyl and replace it. Is it wise to immediately seal a newly laid vinyl flooring ?.
There is no water damage and the floor was newly laid and flat as a pancake.

Sponsored Links
There is no need to seal it at all - its a personal choice.

The reason for this (as you are about to discover!) is that next time the vinyl is replaced you will have trouble getting new silicone to stick to the remnants of the old silicone

To actually answer your question, there is no need to wait, just go for it

Thanks a lot. I reckon I will steer clear of sealing again !
Jim

Sheet Vinyl should be loose laid and can be sealed around the edge with sealant.

It is not uncommon for vinyl to expand/contract over a period after installation and most reputable compnaies would offer a free re-trim service in the first 12 months to allow for this settlement.

Chances are, what you have just needs easing and re-trimming, not replacing.

If it has been subjected to very heavy wear or things like castors, then localised stretching can occur and this can't be remedied really. Equally if it was fully stuck down and the process not perfectly completed it could be causing an issue although that usually manifests itself as a bubble rather than rucking.

Sponsored Links
too late Dave

- the first post states he has already changed it
(some people can be very impatient :rolleyes:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back