Vinyl flooring over existing bathroom tile. Reasonable idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathrooms have this black tile that we've never been too keen on (see picture). We once quoted someone to do the removal of the tiles in both bathrooms and the installation of vinyl click flooring and they quoted us almost £2k per bathroom because the guy said that he would need to pretty much remove everything (e.g. toilet sink pedestal i.e. pretty much do a full bathroom refurb).

We left it at that but I've been thinking about it again and I was wondering if an easier alternative would just be to put vinyl flooring (either stick-on roll or click flooring) on top of the existing tiles.

I'm assuming that there would need to be some leveling of the floor (e.g. fill in the gaps between tiles), but we wouldn't need to fiddle with the toilet or sink, i.e. just put the new floor and put sealant around everything.

Is this a reasonable solution? I guess my worry is whether the floor will end up too high and you end up with this sort of "step" (as per the picture, the rest of the place is carpeted.

BR.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could overcome the height difference with a different floor transition strip, or maybe a nice hardwood one.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. We're actually going to replace the carpet as well, so I guess we could get a thicker one and that would mask a bit of the difference in height.

The one thing on my mind is whether that would be seen as a negative in the future, i.e. let's say we sell the place one day and when the surveyor comes he sees that this was done and warns that this is a sign of shoddy repairs

I wonder about a sheet of ply under the carpet to bring it up level? Would this shift the level change somewhere less problematic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back