Vinyl over tiles help please..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there..

Having had a tiled floor fail and fail in our bathroom for over 6 years now, I have accepted defeat and have decided to have vinyl flooring fitted over the tiles.

In preperation I wondered if I should put a skim of levelling compound or something over the tiles before the fitter comes and installs the vinyl.. I appreciate best practice would be to life the tiles, but the bathroom is installed to allow the height of the tiles, and just the vinyl on floorboards would be a huge drop..

Thanks in advance

Dougie

Sponsored Links
Mods seem to have deleted a duplicate post you made in Tiling so I’ll reply here

Are the failed tiles still down? If they are loose/cracked or likely to become so, you will need to remove them or the SLC will most likely fail as well. You best bet would be to remove the tiles, overboard with a suitable thickness ply & lay the vinyl over that but IMO vinyl is a very poor second choice of floor covering compared to tiles.

Is this a solid or suspended floor? How did the tiles fail? Did you do the tiling yourself? I can understand how you may feel & failure can be due to one or any number of reasons but there is really no need to give up & throw in the towel on a tiled floor if you really want one. Tiling isn’t rocket science but it’s easy to get things wrong; if the floor is rigid, the preparation is correct & quality trade materials of the correct type are used, the tiles won’t fail. If you want to persevere with it, you will get good advice & even detailed guidance on this forum, either from me or one of several other experienced tillers/suppliers who post here. I’ve never had a tile failure, nor could my wallet or reputation afford one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back