vinyl flooring under the loo or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new upstairs loo fitted. The flooring is yet to be done (by somebody else altogether but not yet decided upon) The bathroom fitter sealed the loo with sealant around the floor but didn't install any brackets to hold it in place. (However my downstairs loo, fitted 2005, has no obvious brackets, the mounting holes are empty and there are no problems there.) He said the vinyl floor fitter could cut the seal, lift the loo and run the flooring under it. But is that right? I'm sure that downstairs, the vinyl flooring was fitted AFTERWARDS and ran up to the loo, not under it.

The reason the fitter didn't fit any removable brackets is that the vinyl flooring might need a plywood underlay and therefore the final height of the loo bottom face is unknown as yet.

I haven't paid the balance for this installation. Should I be calling the man back and saying, fit the brackets anyway before I pay? Should the flooring run under the loo or just up to it?

(In case this is the wrong sub-forum, I'm posting this question on the plumbing page as well)

Thanks, guys!

Sponsored Links
When i laid the floor in my bathroom
i removed the toilet
laid the floor
Refitted toilet on a light bead of sealant
the screws i put a blob of sealant flush with the ceramic
the a bead around the base to stop the "boy splashes sitting under the toilet.

By sitting the toilet on the floor the is no cut line to the wall. the only place I have this is the water feed to the toilet.

I would agree with the plumber
I fitted 5mm hardboard then the vinyl so in my case i missed the original screw hole on the wall the hold the cistern ( 7yrs between original lanimat laid around the replaced with vinyl under)

If you fit your flooring under your loo it may cause you problems in the futrure - how will you change it neatly?

...this assumes that by vinyl you mean cushionfloor type flooring on a roll

If you mean LVT (Karndean type) then yes fit it under the loo as this is a permanant flooring

A good carpet fitter will be able to neatly trim around any obstructions such as a loo.

Remember this type of floor is designed to be loose laid, sticking it down or trapping it under your porcelain is not usual practice

If you fit your flooring under your loo it may cause you problems in the futrure - how will you change it neatly?

...this assumes that by vinyl you mean cushion floor type flooring on a roll
I my case i'll take the loo out 30min job at max
Remember this type of floor is designed to be loose laid, sticking it down or trapping it under your porcelain is not usual practice
Opps if that's the case as I stuck mine down with tape

Sponsored Links
tape is ok, dont worry about it

...some use glue and usually its an inapropriate choice of glue - and that then usually damages your subfloor when you try and remove the flooring
...or worse it attacks your vinyl, damaging it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back