Vinyl flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi....i'm looking to get some vinyl flooring for the kitchen....trouble is there's no way of knowing the good stuff from the rubbish, other than the price.

We have found some at a local carpet wholesale warehouse, it's £12 square metre and about 3mm. thick, goes under the brand name "Domo Classic Homes"
Allowing for waste we need 21 square metres so pricewise it compares favourably with some we have seen at £20.
...my wife thinks it looks excellent. It says on the swatch that it is guaranteed for 15 years but that won't include the floorboards showing through.

The kitchen floor is not too bad, consisting of a mixture of standard floor boards and chipboard..but there are the odd mm. irregularities, I don't want to go to the trouble of puting plywood down but nor do I want the boards showing through in 12 months time.

Can anyone, more knowledgable than me, please give me some advice.

many thanks.....Mike

Sponsored Links
You will need to board your floor first otherwise any imperfections will show through as the vinyl will mould itself to the floor.
it is a labour intensive job - fitters will expect around £10 per sq metre to do this for you.
If you DIY remember use ring shank nails (38mm) and nail every 15cm - 20cm in all directions. 4mm ply is approx the same price as hardboard and gives a better finish.Once you have done that you will realise why fitters expect £10per m2!!!!
As per the "quality" of the vinyl, the guarantee means little. In practical terms, you can only "self inflict" damage to this type of flooring - either by dragging the washer over it or dropping something sharp onto it. In either case gurantee would be invalid.
In my opinion choose the vinyl that you prefer - Domo is a respected manufacturer

just to add a slight correction there.

Ring shanks should be 22mm for 4mm and 6mm plywood. 38mm are to long and will pop out the other side of the floorboards hitting pipes etc.

38mm are for plywood of 18mm +plywood that should really be screwed.

Sponsored Links
oops - you are correct :oops:

....just boarded my house which is 1930`s with 1.5inch thick floor boards so used 38mm

in a normal situation using 38mm will almost certainly puncture every cable and pipe under the floor (not good!)

...thanks for being "awake" matty

oops - you are correct :oops:

....just boarded my house which is 1930`s with 1.5inch thick floor boards so used 38mm

in a normal situation using 38mm will almost certainly puncture every cable and pipe under the floor (not good!)

...thanks for being "awake" matty

:D

Personally my laminate flooring is about the same shade as my cabinets, maybe just a shade lighter. I do not like the idea of the base cabinets sitting on top of a floor that is a different color wood. In order to achieve this, if you want to go with a darker floor, you will need to spice up your wall color in your kitchen and bring in some area rugs that would compliment both colors of the wood. So if you brought in a nice burgundy color on the walls and then an area rug that has the burgundy color in it and a couple of different neutral colors that compliment both the cabinets and the floor. So if your floor was a much darker brown than the cabinets, opt for a rug that has light beiges like the cabinets, and some dark browns like the floor, the key is to have a separation between the cabinets and the floor and also bring the floor color up towards the cabinets by maybe placing some accessories on the counter top that are the color of the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back