Vinyl in the b/room, glue or not? under pan/cabinet or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got some vinyl from carpet right for the bathroom. It's 3.7mm thick and has a weight of 9000 according to the site.

Since it's going onto floorboards I know i need to put down some ply first but I've seen conflicting opinions on whether to glue the vinyl down or tape just 2 sides of it.

I'd also planned on laying it on the whole floor and then putting the pan and the basin cabinet on top instead of trying to cut around.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
4mm pre-wet hardboard will be fine, Ply would be better for prep but more expensive.

You only need to loose lay the vinyl, fully sticking is unnecersary and likely to cause problems in the future if not done right (and can only be done on the ply)

You can fix two adjoining sides with anti-plas tape if you wish, but not absolutely necersary.

It will be easier to fit with the sanitary ware out of the room, but if the sanitary ware has a gap round the bottom then you should be able to over cut the vinyl and slip it underneath, also,use some sealant around the edges and any small mistakes won't matter and the product will be sealed from spillages.

At this time of year, unwrap the vinyl and allow it to breath for a while before fitting, you are less likely to have expansion issues after fitting. (bubbles may require easing if you get a bit of expansion after fitting)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back