Vinyl LVT OK On This Floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a floor that is mostly level and flat for my kitchen that I want to put LVT tile on (floating floor kind). Most of the kitchen is old marley type tile and perfectly level (see picture 1). However there is then a transition (see picture 2) which is a very slight slope, then the floor is perfectly level again.

Now this little transition is very very slight, but has the odd little bump or two - which I hope is nothing, I have shown on pictures, 3 & 4.

I understand LVT as vinyl is a bit more flexible then say laminate, and I think whats best is to lay a LVT underlay which I understand are like 1-2mm, which should cover these little 'harsh spots' and then be good to go?

Does this all sound right? Want to try and avoid screeding if possible - but if I must, then I will.

IMG-20200807-111514.jpg

IMG-20200807-111522.jpg

IMG-20200807-111639.jpg

IMG-20200807-111720.jpg

Sponsored Links
I’ve just bought some Moduleo Layred vinyl laminate with its own built in underlay which I’ve still to lay but I am going to lay it on 9mm ply to smooth it out. You may get a bit of bounce on that transition and while I know very little, if it was me I'd level that off somehow, possibly by using some self levelling compound. Here’s an installation video of the flooring I have and you will see it gives a 5mm tolerance over a 2m length.

Last edited:
Floating vinyl is very susceptible to joint failure on uneven surfaces, best thing would be to self levelling screed to limit the transition area and if fitting click LVT choose a very very firm underlay.

Laminate would be more forgiving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back