Vinyl planks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm wanting to put down vinyl planks in our 1m2 hall.
The floor beneath the existing carpet is concrete. The instructions with the planks states I must first lay a damp proof membrane, but it neglects to tell me how I should secure this membrane to the floor?? Will adhesive tape work ok? Then presumably I stick the self adhesive planks directly to the membrane??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the concrete have a dpm under it?
How old is that part of the house?
The concrete needs to be smooth too

Sorry I wouldn't have a clue if there is a DPM under the concrete? We have had problems with damp in the walls of our living room, which is beside it. House was built in the 40s. Haven't seen under the carpet recently, but am pretty sure it's smooth, will take a look once I'm certain I'm doing the job!!

Thanks

The instructions are talking about a paintable liquid dpm which you would apply direct to the subfloor, you would also need to apply a liquid primer and screed to get the floor perfectly level. DPM's were only compulsory from 1962 so there is a chance that you may not have a barrier in place at the moment. This could be tested with a protometer or a hydrometer.

An option would be to fit the tiles direct to F-Ball's Isolator Membrane, more info here http://www.f-ball.co.uk/product_detail.asp?product=Isolator&catID=damp

Don't forget the tape for the joints If you get the isolator (available as cuts from most good flooring wholsaler suppliers.)

Sponsored Links
Can I make sure I've got this right, if I lay the isolator membrane, I won't need to do anything else to the floor and then ill lay the adhesive planks on the membrane?

Sorry for my complete ignorance, my DIY usually extends to painting and flat pack furniture.

Am I likely to be able to buy the membrane in flooring or DIY shops? Or is it a more specific purchase?

Thanks

The isolator would allow you to fit without the requirement for DPM's and screeds provided the subfloor is pretty good and level.

The isolator would normally be available through F-Ball stockists/wholesaler s, contact F-Ball for local contacts or got to your local good quality independent flooring shop, they should be able to order it for you in cuts NOT rolls, expect to pay £20-£25m2 That may sound expensive but will be cheaper than the DPM/Primer/Screed alternative and much much easier to use.

On this job you would be better using
Jumpax board system I'd say.
The proper way is as dave said epoxy dpm and screed but will cost quick a bit.
You could loose lay some visqueen sheet then loose lay some 12mm -18mm ply on top then strip the planks to that. That would be a DIY way of doing it.

The weight of it will hold it down better as its not stuck. But 6mm would be ok, be better if skirts were off as well.

The weight of it will hold it down better as its not stuck. But 6mm would be ok, be better if skirts were off as well.

Have you used F-Ball Isolator before? It's rock solid, and won't move once all fitted properly.

I have Dave, it's great your right. Used some in a pub with polysafe on too ee. Down 5 years now. But you have to but a full roll unless you get lucky.

Can only buy full rolls of the iso membrance 20x2m wide
Wholesalers do not sell cuts
Best way would be to find someone local who has some leftover sitting in stock

Can only buy full rolls of the iso membrance 20x2m wide
Wholesalers do not sell cuts
Best way would be to find someone local who has some leftover sitting in stock

John Palmer Carpets and Florco definitely DO sell cuts, that's who we use and we buy per customer order.

Thanks for all the replies, think it basically depends what I can get hold of easily. Need to do some research as live fairly rural and don't have any store options.

Just joined this forum and seen the thread regarding DPM. I have a 1960s house with kitchen extended around 1970s (I think). The whole extended kitchen diner (approx 4m x 5m) has solid floor with thermoplastic Marley tiles. (i.e. half is original kitchen, half is the extension but the floor is same all way through so I guess new Marley tiles were laid throughout when extension built). Most tiles sound, a few missing (mainly in a line where the original external wall was, in centre of extended room). I am thinking of using floating vinyl planks but wondered what to use as underlay - maybe FBall Stopgap Isolator Membrane? How would I prepare the bits of floor that have missing tiles? I need to level these areas to bring to same level as surrounding tiles and presumably treat to bring to same damproof standard as the tiled areas (or I assume that is not an issue if using the Stopgap membrane?). Overall the floor is fairly flat throughout room - main issue is the few missing tiles. Some slight evidence of tiles lifting at corners but otherwise securely fixed. The FBall membrane is very expensive - I assume that the polythene DPM advertised by some flooring companies on the Internet would not be suitable as alternative? I read somewhere that Stopgap membrane not recommended for floating vinyl planks. One option, not finally decided yet, is sheet vinyl (again loose laid). Would this make a difference to choice of underlay? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back