Vinyl planks

Firstly, plastic membrane and that'll isolator are two completely different products, the isolator resolves residual moisture issues and smooths the floor, the membrane only copes with residual moisture and will not resolve permanent residual moisture issues, it would in such an instance make the floor sweat and cause further damp damage.

If the tiles are the thin plastic type, use a long handled scraper and take them all up, the the best option would be to paint a DPM then screed the floor provided there are no moisture issues. An alternative if leaving the tiles in with would be to fill gaps with a thin repair mortar then fit FBall isolator over the whole floor and fit your flooring HOWEVER many floating vinyl tile products won't need the isolator, the built in underlay section will work just fine. Sheet vinyl would be ideal as above on isolator. The isolator will not level over the missing tiles.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Just joined and first post but learned a load already. Just wanted to ask a question based on the OP.

I have pretty good concrete floors which are currently carpeted but I'd like to get vinyl planks laid. The only trouble is, I've had a quote and it's between £1200-1500 for the area I'd like done. I reckon I could have a good go at it myself so have started researching, hence arriving here.

So I read this...

An option would be to fit the tiles direct to F-Ball's Isolator Membrane, more info here http://www.f-ball.co.uk/product_detail.asp?product=Isolator&catID=damp

Don't forget the tape for the joints If you get the isolator (available as cuts from most good flooring wholsaler suppliers.)

...and thought, "Great! I'll buy that, lay it, then lay my self-adhesive planks on top!"

The only concern I have is that having only lifted a portion of the carpet and seeing that the edges of the concrete are a little broken up (crumbs where the carpet strips have been secured to the floor, the 1 - 2" adjacent to the skirting boards), should I sort those out before laying the isolator membrane? Or is the isolator forgiving enough to cover these gaps once I've swept the crumbs away?

If I should put something down, what are my options?

The house was built in 2007/8 and I have no issues with damp or moisture.

Give the floor a good clean and use a simple repair mortar to fill any gaps, then fit the isolator. From a cost perspective it would be cheaper to self levelling screed your subfloor, the isolator would be a simple DIY solution though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back