Vinyl Silk mist coat problems....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I am not a decorator, however I have been told of the importance of applying a mist coat to bare plasterwork prior to top coating. From what i have been told, this should be anything up to a 50/50 mix of water and MATT paint.

Here lies the problem...
In an attempt to help us out, my mother-in-law bought dulux vinyl silk and liberally slapped this all over the bare plaster walls in my hallway, with a very small amount of water added (10% tops).
As she had not attempted to fill any cracks or remove any lumps on the surface before painting, i began to do this, only to find that the paint readily peels off when the plaster is exposed (rubbing my thumb over the edges is enough to lift it off).

I am now worried that once we apply the top coats (of matt paint), this will cause the undercoat to bubble up and peel off!

Can anyone calm / confirm my fears? If so, is there an easy(ish) way of removing the silk paint from the plaster? I have scraped but that tends to be quite patchy; tried a steamer but that is taking forever; used my thumb but this is making it rather sore - and taking forever. Want to avoid sanding if at all possible as we have a newborn and my partner is concerned about dust inhallation!

Any other suggestions please???

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back