vinyl tiles over bitumen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a bedroom extension built including an en-suite.
The builder took up the old wood block flooring which was found under the old carpet.
This has left the en-suite floor as the bitumen coating which was used to stick the original wood block flooring down.
The builder said that there was no problem mate just put vinyl on top (as the floor was level).
The vinyl stockist however tells me that the bitumen will bleed through and stain the vinyl.
Is this correct, and if so is there any product that I can seal the floor with.
Whatever the solution it must not be thin as the sanitary ware is already in place, and shower trims etc. will not fit if a thick coating is used.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
yes it will bleach through you need to seal the floor before laying the vinyl. go into a decent paint stockist not a diy shed! and tell them the problem they should be able to give you what you need.

Thanks guys

However, my wife has just reminded me (she can think back further than me) that in the old days you would find thermo plastic tiles (marley I think) that were brittle and had been stuck down with bitumen or something like it. They had to be warmed up to make them flexible.

If this is right? Can I still get them - as I assume bitumen will obviously not bleed thro.

Sponsored Links
Officially you are no longer allowed to use bitumen in side the home (went the same way as asbestos, "wonderful" product until the long term effect became known - toxic).

Best to follow kevindgas' advice.

Thanks

I was actually going to stick them down with a water based adhesive. The object being that thermo plastic tiles would seal the bitumen. Whereas vinyl wouldn't.

Dulux tech centre advises that they don't have anything that would seal bitumen and from its nature suspect that it would bleed thro a thin screed (if it adheres properely).

I have got feeds out with coating specalists i.e. epoxy paints etc. and awaiting answers.

As a side on health & safety, on searching the web I note that some of the old thermo plastic tiles included asbestos. Therefore these shold not be 'chipped up', especially as it then is likely to expose bitumen/ashfelt. I guess it would be beteer to seal it in.
If only my bulder had not removed the original wood block flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back