Vinyl tiles over tiles with underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a house with a large area (about 59m squared) of tiles on top of a wet underfloor heating system. Half of the space is in the original house and so has wooden floor joists with (I presume) the pipes running between the joists somehow. The other half of the space is an extension with a concrete floor so I presume they are in a screed with tiles on top. The heat output is excellent. Sadly the tiles are very dated (although they are in excellent condition) and so we would like to change the flooring. Clearly taking everything up would be the best solution, however I’m concerned it will turn into a mammoth job and might damage the ufh. We are looking to install a luxury vinyl tile and so a significant amount of self levelling would undoubtedly need to be done if we took the tiles up. The second option is to lay the new vinyl flooring on top. Would the heat output be reduced significantly by having a second layer of flooring? I know the floor height would be a nuisance and it is not ideal but would the ufh lose much of its impact?

any opinions would be very welcome
Thanks

Sponsored Links
if it's tiled already, just lay ceramic tiles over the top, leave the old ones as they are if they are stuck down well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back