Vinyl tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a floor to cover. The floor is chipboard but I covered it with 3.5mm hardboard as there was a few areas that had to be taken up due to new light fittings etc.

I bought a load of self-adhesive vinyl planks and let them condition in the room for two weeks before laying them.

They went down fine - I rollered them with a seam roller from the middle out and paid extra attention to the edges, but overnight some of them started to curl up at the edges. It is almost as if they are reverting to a shape they once were (I thought they might be manufactured on a roll?).

I have used vinyl floor tiles before of a different brand and had no trouble.

What could I do to stick them down? Builder's adhesive? Superglue? Spray mount?

Any help appreciated - it'll be one more project out the way!

Sponsored Links
Solvents evaporating from the newly manufactured hardboard softening the glue??? kinda doubt it

If it were me, I'd look on the packaging to see if the manufacturer has provided a customer service phone number. You allowed the flooring to condition for two weeks, installed it over a new, clean base and rolled it immediately after installation. I expect you followed the installation directions more closely than most would. If you're getting this flooring curling up on you, then I expect that lots of people who install this flooring have the same problem, and I expect the people answering that customer service phone probably get asked that question a lot.

If you try to stick this flooring down now some other way, you're just gonna give the manufacturer an excuse to void your warrenty. I'd bring the problem to them and let them tell you what you did wrong. Cuz, if you did nothing wrong, you might get your money back. THEN you can try to stick the flooring down better with a stronger glue.

If you try to stick it down better now, you're not going to achieve any better results. You'll just screw up your chances of getting any of your money back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back