Viper - no LED (EOL Resistor??)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Texecom R8 panel with a few Vipers (GLX).

Originally the Vipers where wired in series using 6 core on one zone with double knock enabled and the LED enabled. All worked well.

I decided I wanted to wired them using 8 core to enable the remote LED control.

Wired them exactly the same but using the SW+ from the panel to the SET on the Wiper. Wired with Alarm and Power (& Tamper) setting both DIL switches to ON - the LED flashes fine and goes off when triggered. Switch 1 obviously does the Double Knock.

Also the wipers are wired together using 1 core between their FTA contacts. The last Viper has a resistor going across +12v and FTA as per the instructions.

Just for testing purposes I plugged the SET core into the +12v at the panel rather than fart about with SW+. Checked at the Vipers -

- between 0 & 12v the reading is 13v
- between 0 and SET is 13v
- continuity exists between both ALARMs until triggered.

At this point I expect the LED to flash and remain flashing, but it doesn't.

Any ideas.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Update - just spoken to Honeywell Tech Support.

The way 7 core (Remote LED) works is that SET has to see 0V then 12V (when the system is armed), if the system is triggered, upon un-setting the system at the keypad, the triggered zone should light up, looking at the Vipers - the triggered one will be flashing.

A RESET of the system will wipe the Viper's "memory".

8 Core FTA - as I thought. It's just the supply to the SET that caught me out. It needs go from 0v to 12V and 0v - just connecting 12v and then removing 12v means it never sees 0v.

Thankfully it's been left with the SET wired to the SW+ in the panel - so should be OK. But will check again this evening using a flylead using both 0v and 12v to the SET.

Checked the Vipers last night and using a flylead to connect SET to 0v and 12v the Viper behaved as expected. Even the FTA bit.

The one thing I am stumped with is in the instructions - for 8 core (remote LED and FTA), it mentions that all the Vipers (GLX) have the FTA terminals connected together , but not going back to the panel, with an EOL resistor fitted to 1 Viper (GLX) - between 12v and FTA.

Now I'm assuming this is not EOL in the traditional sense - as in EOL vs DP, so it must be EOL in the context of wiring a Viper, which are wired DP. But fitting this resistor as instructed (between 12v and FTA) resulted in the FTA and remote LED no longer working. So I left it out - but it does beg the question, if FTA works without it, why include it and instruct that it gets fitted between FTA & 12v?

Can anyone shed any light on this "EOL" resistor?

Many Thanks

Dibs

p.s. The instructions I am referring to are - http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/68/p4754968.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back