Virgin Media Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to move the wallbox installed by VM some time ago. When I had it installed initially, I knew I was going to move it at some point, so I had the engineer leave my a whole load of excess cable (slack) which is looped up just outside where it is currently installed.

Now I know you are supposed to call out an engineer to have them move it, but with covid meaning only urgent callouts are likely to be prioritised, I was wondering if the T7C's they have regarding moving applies to me as I probably wouldn't be altering the cable they have supplied, just disconnecting it and reconnecting it, much the same as if I wanted to decorate the wall the box is attached too.

Or am I just trying to convince myself??

Sponsored Links
As you mentioned moving the wallbox to the installation engineer who kindly obliged you by supplying the extra cable, that would suggest to me that it was allowable. If it wasn't permissable, he shouldn't have supplied the extra cable.
... And who knows what was actually said all that time ago... Plausible deniability - '...what do you mean I shouldn't have moved the wallbox??? The engineer gave me all this extra cable, he said it would be fine!'
But hey, that's just my opinion!
...you'll only get into trouble if something goes wrong! ;)

Just move it. When I bought my place there was a tatty old Virgin Media box on the bay window (not even straight). It went... along with all the associated cables, trunking and mess. I simply cut the cable and terminated the end in a waterproof box. Never had the need for Virgin TV.

However... this year (after years of trying to sort problems with traditional broadband down a copper phone line) we bought an internet-only Virgin package. I was slightly nervous but they weren't interested in the slightest as to what happened before and were only really concerned with getting us connected. The engineer was a top lad. I drilled the hole for him (so he didn't blow the face of the brickwork) and he reconnected us up within a few hours. That was March.

They would not be bothered at all if you moved it around.

Sponsored Links
In fact unless you get the exact same guy that originally fitted it coming around they will not know.
It's not like they take photographic evidence and record notes and then review it the next time they come round for whatever.

They wont know, they wont care, its in your house - go for it.

Just remember you'll probably have to cut the end off the coax to get it back out the hole and also cut the copper Telco wire if it's in use. Get yourself a decent prep tool, compression tool, compression fittings and jelly locks if the Telco is in use.

VM will attend any faults just now and will probably do it for free if you get the right agent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back