virus eliminator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya, if i have a virus and my software detects it and then sends it to quarantine, if i chuck it in the recycle bin then empty it how can i be sure its actually gone?

ive checked the floor and it has not fell out the side yet. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hiya Jefoss,
Run another virus scan to check. Some viruses get buried in 'system restore'. If it's quarantined just leave it there. A second opinion can be gained by using Trendmicro housecall or Pandascan (free reputable online scanners).
Keep your anti virus software up to date.

hiya, if i have a virus and my software detects it and then sends it to quarantine, if i chuck it in the recycle bin then empty it how can i be sure its actually gone?

Not Nessesarilly.

When Running Windows her eis a tip that you should do.

Partition your harddrive.
Make one partition your C drive and dont put anything in this except the operating system.
Use the other partitions as data partitions.
Install thet operating system and ALL updates plus your software.

Take a Disk image of the fresh install of the C:\ partition and put this in a folder in D:\
Every time you want to add a new bit of (GOOD) software, Make a fresh clean install from the Disk image on D:\ then install the new software, then take a fresh disk image.
Have a recover disk (eg a linux liveCD)

That way you can simply format the C partition and reinstall the disk image to the C:\ partition every month or 2 and hey presto.... No bloated registry no slowing down etc. Especially good if you have a laptop.

PS I stopped using windows when they brought out Vista. So It may not work on that but XP is okay.

I use linux but I'm not one of these linux only nerds. YKWYA. :)

Cheers
Bob

Sponsored Links

Not Nessesarilly.

When Running Windows her eis a tip that you should do.

Partition your harddrive.
Make one partition your C drive and dont put anything in this except the operating system.
Use the other partitions as data partitions.
Install thet operating system and ALL updates plus your software.

Take a Disk image of the fresh install of the C:\ partition and put this in a folder in D:\
Every time you want to add a new bit of (GOOD) software, Make a fresh clean install from the Disk image on D:\ then install the new software, then take a fresh disk image.
Have a recover disk (eg a linux liveCD)

That way you can simply format the C partition and reinstall the disk image to the C:\ partition every month or 2 and hey presto.... No bloated registry no slowing down etc. Especially good if you have a laptop.

PS I stopped using windows when they brought out Vista. So It may not work on that but XP is okay.

I use linux but I'm not one of these linux only nerds. YKWYA. :)

Cheers
Bob

thanks but that might as well have been in chinese :oops:

The thing is Bob, if you're going to do that, you've probably got another pc or two anyway, maybe even a raid server with all your important stuff on, and know how to export your favourites and various other settings - might as well just reinstall from scratch every now and then.
In my experience with windows, it's possible to use it for years on end without it grinding to a halt, you just need to know what you're doing.
Disc images are great in a network environment where you have lots of identical pcs, or for a dedicated machine that is setup and then left and might one day need reimaging the same as it was setup the first time, but on your desktop there's so many little things that you change, programs that you install and never use, little files you dump here and there that you may aswell not bother trying to do your tip (especially when your disc image gets corrupted and you're left with more problems than you started with...)

The thing is Bob, if you're going to do that, you've probably got another pc or two anyway, maybe even a raid server with all your important stuff on, and know how to export your favourites and various other settings - might as well just reinstall from scratch every now and then.
In my experience with windows, it's possible to use it for years on end without it grinding to a halt, you just need to know what you're doing.
Disc images are great in a network environment where you have lots of identical pcs, or for a dedicated machine that is setup and then left and might one day need reimaging the same as it was setup the first time, but on your desktop there's so many little things that you change, programs that you install and never use, little files you dump here and there that you may aswell not bother trying to do your tip (especially when your disc image gets corrupted and you're left with more problems than you started with...)

Yep I used this on my 5 machines. So it made my life easier. :)

I also kept all my faviourites on the network (accessable from anywhere).

Cheers
Bob

Sponsored Links
Back