Vista Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I brought a copy of Vista ultimate OEM and it installed ok and I activated it with no problems.

Two days ago my hard disk failed and I lost all my data, so I brought a new 500gb western digital and put vista back on again.
The problem is vista needs activating again so I enter my code and it says the code is in use.

What can I do because Vista is OEM and Microsoft won’t help???

Sponsored Links
I've not had enough experience with Vista to comment on the reactivation process. From an XP perspective, i've never had a problem with M$ issuing a new code under the circumstances you describe. Does it still use the same support number on the popup?

All it says is "The serial key you have entered is in use"
also i rang microsoft and they said becuase it was oem they would not give me a new code.

If it's due to component failure then they should give you the necessary unlock code...provided you have only replaced the hard disk and not the entire system or major component AND provided you were entitled to buy an OEM in the first place ;). Why did you buy an OEM version ?

Sponsored Links
It does seem a bit harsh to not allow you to replace a damaged hard disk drive, you haven't replaced memory or another core component as well have you?

If you bought OEM without a full computer base or major component then technically what you have is not a legal license so MS are correct to not issue a code. Did you buy the license with any hardware ? did the retailer advise on what an OEM license was and who is entitled to use it ?

Does it not give you a telephone number you can ring? It's an automated service - just say that your motherboard has been replaced and they should give you another serial. Don't be speaking to them and telling them that you just bought an OEM copy without buying any hardware.

Take it back to the shop you bought it from, and complain, as its OEM they will probably just swap it.

Sponsored Links
Back