Pics from XP not recognised by Vista???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MORE VISTA PROBS!!

Why the hell can't I copy photos that I managed to save onto cd's from my old desk top running XP (that mysteriously died once vista was released) onto my new lap top running vista???

They run fine on my mates lap top running xp so why the hell won't my lap tops media player recognise them???

WHY OH WHY did I bother to get a computer running vista, I've had nothing but trouble trying to get old stuff to work or run on it. Anyone else have similar probs????

Sponsored Links
What are the symptoms of the problem that you want help in solving?

HI,

Before my desk top pc died I saved all my photos onto cd's. I now want to view and save them onto my lap top but when I try to run them on this lap top it tells me there are no photos on disc. However when I run them on my mates lap top the pics are there clear as day!! :evil:

He's on XP i'm on vista.

Sponsored Links
clout stench said:
However when I run them on my mates lap top the pics are there clear as day
Have you eliminated the possibility that your laptop has a faulty optical drive?

Are these definitely CDs, or are they DVDs?

Do you have any CDs (and/or DVDs) that this laptop can read?

If so, which file types can it read?

What file type are your images?

If you create a CD on this laptop, and put some files of that type on it, can the laptop read them back again?

clout stench said:
However when I run them on my mates lap top the pics are there clear as day
Have you eliminated the possibility that your laptop has a faulty optical drive?

Are these definitely CDs, or are they DVDs? - Both

Do you have any CDs (and/or DVDs) that this laptop can read? - yes

If so, which file types can it read? - not sure, I don't really understand the different file types, bit of a dinosaur!!

What file type are your images? - again i'm not sure - how can I tell? do photos come in different file types??

If you create a CD on this laptop, and put some files of that type on it, can the laptop read them back again?

Softus said:

clout stench said:
Do you have any CDs (and/or DVDs) that this laptop can read?
- yes
How were those created?

clout stench said:
If so, which file types can it read?
- not sure, I don't really understand the different file types, bit of a dinosaur!!
Ok, in that case which files can it read?

clout stench said:
What file type are your images?
- again i'm not sure - how can I tell?
Using Windows Explorer.

Softus said:

CD's were full so i guess they were finalised when i saved the photos.

CD's were created by copying photos onto CD on old desk top.

I don't know what other files this lap top can read as I haven't tried any others.

I can't get itunes to work either so theres something I am not doing or there is some software I need to install / download I am guessing but i haven;t a clue what!!

Possibly missing an application to open the pictures or no program associated with the file type?

thanks guys!

I guess i'll just wait for Nov 5th and stick it on the bonfire!

I hate microsoft!! :mad:

It's not necessarily their problem.

What, exactly, is happening when you try and open the files? (Error message etc.)

What format are the files?

What application do they open in on the XP machine?

The more info. you can provide, the more chance you have of fixing the problem.

father in law had a similar problem, turned out he always chose to format the disc before writing to it. this made it readable only with ...whatever proprietary windows software was on his pc allowing him to do this... thus when we tried to look at pics on various other pcs we couldn't, as that software was missing from our systems. I guess you'd need to see if this is the possible root cause, and if so the only way of extrracting those files is to get a copy of said proprietary software. hth

Sponsored Links
Back