New Laptop - doesn't like my printer or other hardware!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My old computer has just died having worked reasonably well for the last 7 or 8 years, so begrudgingly I have purchased a lap top which is running vista.

I have a couple of queries and I would be extremely grateful if you can find the time to help and old dinosaur!

1.) The lap top will not recognise my printers driver (same age as pc) from the original disc. Is this too old now?

2.) How do I get my old files off of my old desk top?

Am I being a little cynical by thinking that vista has been designed to be incompatible with old xp stuff to force you to buy more stuff??

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It's possible that there are newer drivers for the printer. Have you looked at the Vendors website?

To transfer your data, you have a number of options. One would be to copy it to some removable media, like an external hard drive, Memory stick or optical media. Another option would be to network the two and use the File and Data Transfer Wizard.

I.T. stuff moves on rapidly and there are often casualties. Your printer may be one of them. :cry:

Go to the printers website for new drivers.

I managed to get updates for all my stuff when i "upgraded" to vista.

Thanks for your replies.

I will try lexmark again to see if i can find an updated driver.

The problem with my old desk top is that I cannot get it to start up it says I have to reload windows again but as the computer came preloaded with XP I haven't any discs to reload it.

I hope I haven't lost all my photos and music etc :(

Sponsored Links
I don't think you will have lost your pics and docs unless it was the HD that packed in.
Buy yourself a USB Hard Drive Caddie and remove the HD from your old PC and install it in the caddie.
Your Vista should recognise it and when it does you could transfer your docs etc to your new lappie.
As your old HD is about eight years old I would not consider using it as an external HD full time, but you could buy a new HD and install in the caddie so that you have a seperate HD for back-ups.
dave

You are in the right frame of mind to buy some recordable CDs and take a backup at least once a month.

Sorry.

Lexmark have kindly got back to me informing me that they don't do a driver for my printer that runs on vista :evil:

b*ll*cks

clout stench said:
Lexmark have kindly got back to me informing me that they don't do a driver for my printer that runs on vista :evil:

b*ll*cks

That will teach you to buy cheap sh**

all lexmark printers are (insert your own derogatory word here)

point taken.

any recommendations on what to replace it with!

just need it for the kids homework really and the odd photo so i can't justify spending 100's on it!!!!

vista seems to be a pain in the butt with so many things it is worth staying with XP if you can

i have vista on 1 computer, XP on laptop, ME on another laptop and 98 on my old computer no prizes for guessing which 1 is the worst :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back