VISTA home basic unable to log in user.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The laptop is DELL Inspiron 1501 using Vista home basic 32 bit.
when PC is switched on it starts ok and indicates the users but on selecting any user it indicates the timer counter but does not load the user.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Colin.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mattylad,
Yes I am now in safe mode and system logs in.
Thant you for responding.
Colin.

If you can get to safe mode, simply do a system restore and go back to a date where the problem didn't exist. You should be back up and running then.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mattylad,
I Have tried System restore It worked the first time then fault re-accured, Now system shows no restore point.
Please help.
Colin.

Well, that might suggest that the fault is a bug in one of the normal microsoft updates? Unless you can think of something you installed both times before the problem occured.

In safe mode, can you find a way of booting to the last known good configuration of windows?

Failing that, and to be honest, either way, I'd consider a format and fresh install, but go for a different version of windows. I've never been a huge fan of vista.

If you have files on your hard drive that you need to keep, you could remove the hard drive, get a usb case for it(very cheaply) back the files you want up and then do the format?

Also, if you have a genuine vista disk, you could try to repair the system. See this link

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-screen/ff1170a7-8a2f-45e6-bab9-47c74c0c7085

Good luck.

Hi Madder,
Many thanks for the brilliant info. I have the original VISTA disc so will start there, then will proceed as required.
Best regards,
Colin.

Sponsored Links
Back