vitodens 200-w to albion ultrasteel hot water cylinder

i am in hertfordshire

by the way I have just noticed that in the back of my installation instructions my plumber has completed the benchmark and commissioning checklist, (I was not aware that he had completed this but, as I said he thinks he has finished his work)

he has also ticked that the boiler is controlling the hot water, which is on an immersion heater still.

Sponsored Links
Re: Chartered Engineer,

Speaking as someone who has fitted Viessmann 200Ws with third party unvented cylinders, you are stating suppositions, not fact.

Norcon is on the money (usually the case).

This wiring job is a bit tricky and most plumbers won't attempt it. Not rocket science though :LOL: As Agile points out, this chap can't have signed it off if it isn't working. If you get a leccy to wire it up (that will be emotional) he can't sign it off either.

Moral; pay the right money and get it done properly.

I don't understand which bit I was wrong about. The OP is using a third party cylinder and his/her plumber is using it with external controls. Both of which I've mentioned?

I appreciate you may be a registered Viessmann installer but the two points I made are valid. I also note you have been wrong about some Viessmann stuff in the past.

I have checked with the gas safety register and the plumber is registered with them.
He may be registered but does he have the required unvented qualification. This is a sample taken from the register. If the plumber does not have the necessary G3 (unvented) qualification, he is working illegally - the same as if he was not registered for gas boilers.

The plumber has filled in the cylinder benchmark form (but not handed it to me I found it a stack of papers stuck behind the boiler pipes).
That's interesting. The last section in the Benchmark Book for an unvented cylinder asks the following questions:

Does the heating and hot water system comply with the appropriate building regulations?

Has appliance and associated equipment been installed and commissioned in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions?

Have you demonstrated the operation of the appliance and system controls to the customer?

Have you left all the manufacturer’s literature with the customer?

Competent person’s signature

Customer’s signature (To confirm demonstrations of equipment and receipt of appliance instructions)

Apart from leaving the instructions with you, I can't see how your installer can honestly answer "yes" to any of the other questions; and I assume he did not ask you to sign to say he had demonstrated the system to you.

ok
I have rechecked the gas safety register
and he is not down as qualified to fit an unvented cylinder

also to clarify he has filled out a benchmark for both the boiler and the water cylinder. neither of these were handed to to me
and you are quite correct that I have not signed the one for the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
I have rechecked the gas safety register
and he is not down as qualified to fit an unvented cylinder.
Report him to Gassafe.

You should also ask how you can get the installation properly checked and commissioned.

Calm down folks!

The gas safe register is only about gas.

CORGI used to list unvented certificates and Gas Safe later started to list them but thats totally voluntary!

I am qualified to work on unventeds but thats not shown on my Gas Safe listing.

Tony

CORGI used to list unvented certificates and Gas Safe later started to list them but that's totally voluntary!
So how does the man in the street know:

a) The installer has to be specially qualified to fit vented cylinders?

b) That the installer he has selected is properly qualified?

I am qualified to work on unventeds but that's not shown on my Gas Safe listing.
Wouldn't it be sensible for you to show that on your Gas Safe registration?

Since the man in the street does not know about the need for registration then it rarely arises.

The way to demonstrate the qualification is to show the customer my Water Card.

I was listed for G3 by CORGI but G-S did not carry it forward when they took it over.

To get relisted I have to find my Certificate and send it to them. Since no one is even bothered there is little incentive for me to do that.

Tony

Since the man in the street does not know about the need for registration then it rarely arises.
I was referring to a "customer". :rolleyes:

So the customer does not need to know that the installer has to be Gas Safe registered as well as holding G3 qualification?

If that's the case, there's not much point in plumbers spending a lot of time and money obtaining the necessary qualifications and maintaining them.

The way to demonstrate the qualification is to show the customer my Water Card.
You are assuming that the installer will show the customer his card without being asked. But if the customer does not know that the installation of an unvented cylinder required G3 qualification, he will not query it if the installer just shows his Gas Safe card showing Domestic Gas boilers etc. They will assume that is sufficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back