Vokera combi boiler advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people
I have a Vokera Compact HE that is under a years warranty with Vokera through Domestic and General.
I had the Expansion vessel replaced a couple of weeks ago followed by the pipe that leads to the expansion vessel as apparently this was full of muck/debris.
Since then I haven't been able to fill a full bath with hot water as it keeps going cold (no error lights apparent on boiler).
I rang the insurers to explain this and they sent out an engineer again via Vokera who without really testing or inspecting it much said its due to the plate heat exchanger being clogged up.
Now Vokera have said this is nothing to do with the expansion vessel and tube repair and is user error as the water is not clean enough and therefore they're insurers wont cover the repair?
Does this sound right?
Is it just a coincidence to have happened straight after having repair work done?
Are the parts totally seperate and how can I be at fault if its a closed system?
Domestic and General were quite helpful and said if I were to organise an independant plumber who said it was something other than the plate heat exchanger then they would still cover the repair but from previous experience the plumbers around my area don't want to touch Vokera for some reason?
Can I ask the people here for advice on this matter please?
Kind regards

Sponsored Links
When installing a boiler the system should be cleaned by your fitter, if not manufacturers usually void warranties.
From the symptoms you describe it does sound like a blocked plate.

We see it all the time and so do other manufacturer's (I work for Vokera) .

I'm not sure you have a years warranty with Vokera, I imagine you must be insured with Domestic and General who sometimes employ us to look after their Vokera calls.

Afraid the dirt that blocked the pipe and led to the early demise of the expansion vessel is also in the domestic plate exchanger so the heat the main exchanger preoduces cannot pass to the cold water coming in and so the boiler shuts down as it's supposed to until things cool down again. No error codes or lights.

You'll have to get the plate changed or cleaned I'm afraid and it's due to the system not being cleaned when the installer put it in.

Very simple boiler. Vokera would fix it if you paid them separately I'm sure but you might find someone locally to do it, it is very straightforward. Trouble is you can have a new plate exchanger put in but the dirt that is in the system will be coming back to haunt you so the sytem should be cleaned also.

What area?

Thanks for the replys im in west notts.
The cover is through vokera it was a repair with one years cover last winter but the policy is through D&G.
Any idea how much this repair should cost through an independant engineer?
The other option I suppose is another fixed price repair and years cover with Vokera but if like you say I have dirt in my system i'm only going to have more issues....
How does one go about cleaning the boiler is it a powerflush followed by inhibiter??

Can i also ask is this likely to lead to any issues with my central heating in the near future or is it a seperate thing entirely?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It is not the boiler maker's dirt so not covered by the warrantee.

In fact you are lucky not to have been charged about £90 for their visit.

I charge £136 in my local area to remove and clean a plate HE.

The installer is responsible for cleaning the system.

A power flush is the best way but depending on the severity a chemical flush may suffice. Adding a magnetic filter helps too.

Of course a £200 installation by an unregistered East European is not going to have any proper cleaning done. Nor any free return visits under his warrantee.

Tony

You could ring Vokera again and ask for a couple of approved engineers in the area. They should have been on a training course and the boiler should hold no fear for them. A fixed price repair would be too expensive I think and wouldn't get rid of the problem and stop it reoccurring.

I have been on a training course at Vokera but don't think that I am "approved" though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back