VOKERA COMPACT 24 COMBI - loud boom on ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I have a problem with a new boiler recently installed, and I will be very grateful for any advice you can give. If you can bear with me this will take a few paragraphs to explain what has happened so far.

When the boiler fires up, the gas does not ignite until after about 4, 5 or 6 secs, by that time there has been a build of of gas and then when it ignites the boiler makes a very loud boom. Sometimes you think it is going to explode off the wall.

Had a Scottish Gas eng out doing a safety insp, & he advised it is the flu not fitted correctly. He opened up the front cover of the boiler so we could see inside, then he fired it up & the gas ignited immediately, no boom. He advised the boiler is not drawing in sufficient air through the flu to give a good gas/air mixture, & the test he done proves this as it was drawing in air through the front of the boiler.

I bought the boiler myself from a trade outlet in May '09, but unfortunately I got a local gas eng to fit it buckshee (no receipts etc exchanged hands), and the eng is not willing to come & check if the flu wasn't fitted correctly. In his words 'I fitted as per the instruction manual, it must be a faulty boiler'.

I contacted Vokera (as I have a 2yr warranty on the boiler) and explained the fault and they advise it is likely the flu not fitted right. If they send someone out to check the boiler and discover there is no fault with it then I will be charged £180 for the eng's time.

To be honest, the flu looks to be seated fine on the inside and outside walls, plus it is not a thick wall. Looking at the installation manual diagrams, it is a simple joining of 2 plastic pipes, one fitting inside the other. I'm not entirely convinced it is a flu fault, but then again I'm no expert.

Another point to note is that every couple of hours the boiler switches off with a red fault light, & I am having to reset the boiler to get it going again. I am assuming it must be related to the boom on ignition.

I'm unsure what my next step should be. Can anyone give any input on this?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Sponsored Links
I think you need to get a decent engineer to have a look and put your hands in your pockets

Michael what advise are you seeking here?

You know the answer yourself.

Alternative is grass the chap to Gas Safe but I would say you are equally blameworthy as job was accepted as 'cash in hand' or without checking documentations that boys in blue keep going on about. TV reception in Renfrew must be bad as you appear not to have seen any TV programmes about wide boys playing at being heating engineers and plumbers

This may be just one problem that has come to light or you could be lucky as this is the only one. Hope you can get the matter sorted amicably run up to festive season days away. It is getting baltic in Bearsden and will be doubly so for you living in a freezer if the Vokera is not sorted soon.

Mind you, the boom from the boiler will 'dust' the furniture and TV, so all you will have to do is hoover the dust off the floor.

Might be cheaper to get Vokera out. They will have no axe to grind and should be able to fix the problem for you.

Sponsored Links
oh bearsden DP im a faifley boy!. For your fault depending on the length your flue will dictate the size of flue restrictor you have in your flue if not the right ring explosive ignition :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back