Vokera Compact HE pressure problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people
I have had a compact HE boiler for some 12 years now and all in all its been OK just a couple of issues that have been quickly sorted via engineers.
Today when i tested the central heating for the first time since last winter it sparked up fine and heated the rads OK but the pressure gauge upon checking had shot so high that the blue indicator wasn't even visible.
Upon seeing this I turned the heating off again via the room stat and bled my bathroom radiator of enough water to get back out of the red zone again. The boiler has since cooled and lost so much pressure that it red lighted and needed resetting.
Now I have had the expansion vessel changed already on this boiler a couple of years back for this very problem so can it really have gone again??
I have had a good read up here about "recharging" the vessel via a handpump and am willing to give this a try if you guys think that is what this could be and I have even had a look already to find the valve at the top and check there is no water coming out when you press the centre of the valve (there isn't - just air).
So could this be my problem and is it worth a try should I ring a gas safe guy again?
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ok so I checked the expansion vessel and it was reading 8 psi so I topped it up to 10 psi following the guide in the FAQ section and turned the boiler back on....after some weird gurgling noises it's working as before but the pressure guage is still rising into the red zone ....
Anything else a keen diy-er can try before I ring the pro's??

Sponsored Links
If you say where you are there might be someone who can recommend someone in your area

Have a look at the filling loop and make sure it's not got slightly opened by mistake.
Don't forget to take the pressure off the system when pumping air into the ex vessel.
NB You can compress air but not a liquid.

Thanks for the replys guys I'm wondering if the pipe to the expansion vessel is blocked as I've had a similar issue before - is this something a diy-er can get to to check? I wouldn't want to undo any pipes in the boiler that might lead to water escaping inside :/
p.s checked filling loop is closed and made sure boiler pressure was at zero before adding air to vessel.....

Setting the pressure to 0 won't do much, you must have an open end whilst recharging the vessel.
Easiest way for a DIYer to do this is take the bleed valve out of the bathroom radiator and let a 2nd person direct the flow of water into a bucket whilst you pump the expansion vessel, eventually the EV will start to re-charge.
servotech,

wondering if the pipe to the expansion vessel is blocked as I've had a similar issue before

Yes it could be.

As suggested though, checking and recharging an EV needs to be done is a certain way too.

I'd get someone in to do a proper service on the appliance for you and they should sort out all of that for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back