1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Vokera Easy heat + Nest E thermostate Uk version

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Johnryoma, 29 Sep 2020.

1. Johnryoma

Johnryoma

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi there. I am looking for a help with my E thermostate. Will be happy to connect it with open therm. That's my PCB. Nest Open therm have OT1 and OT2. Where they should be connected on Boiler PCB. There is a voltage free. If its not possible how should I connect it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: 29 Sep 2020
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    your boiler doesnt support open therm, but you can use the Nest E with it, just not on open therm

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Johnryoma

Johnryoma

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok so how should I connect it?

Last edited: 29 Sep 2020
  5. vulcancontinental

vulcancontinental

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ian, yes, Tony also said it doesn't but I tried it on one in my training room and it did, It might depend on the version of the PCB it has. Unfortunately I can't look at the easiheat here now as it's behind scenery where we've converted the training room into a studio.

Johnryoma if you want to try you'll need a controls interface but that can cost £20 depending where you buy it. The Nest has optimum start and can link to the weather service, it might also have TPI so with regard to efficiency your not losing much if anything; what you are losing is OpenTherm remote access to the boiler which Nest is not capable of giving will not give you anyway.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Chris_W

Chris_W

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    At the RT on the pcb, possibly where the 2 blue wires are with the black link at other end. I’m not sure on that boiler, but you may have to check the case seal/safety checks after installing the thermostat also.

7. vulcancontinental

vulcancontinental

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oh yes, forgot that question. Yes, for ON/OFF replace the black link with the voltage independent switching option of the Nest. Disable the internal timer on the boiler with the switch beneath the chassis on the right if it's a later version.

All can be done without opening the combustion box.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Johnryoma

Johnryoma

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Morning.
    So on this nest panel I'll be this top 2 links on the left. I think it's common and permanent open ?

9. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Remove this black link and run a cable to the nest E and connect to Com and NO doessnt matter which way round you connect them

Inkedpcb_LI.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. Johnryoma

Johnryoma

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks mate will do it after work.ps. I can help with ac dc motors and generators percussion engineering cnc.& manual to.
    Best John

Last edited: 30 Sep 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. vulcancontinental

vulcancontinental

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Had to move stuff out of the way this morning to confirm Ian but the easiheat certainly does support OpenTherm.

Johnryoma, you can connect the Nest OpenTherm if you wish.

The pic is our cheap stat showing an alarm code on the display this morning connected to a demonstration boiler

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    does it just wire in the same way but to the OT terminals on the other end ? or is there a different way to connect it ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. vulcancontinental

vulcancontinental

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I could write a description but here's a link to the YouTube video I made of how to actually do it. It's a little out of date and the photographs are dark in some slides but you get the drift I'm sure.

You can see how much potential OpenTherm has when the boiler and control are matched in the last section, changes to the room thermostat.

There are deals since this was made where the controls interface is packaged with the boiler or stat with Wolseley or Grahams but usually there's a specific order code for those which I don't have here.

To use a different brand OpenTherm thermostat you'll need to disconnect the four wires from the flying lead to the control board and terminal block and simply substitute those from whatever thermostat you wish to use; L & N and the two OpenTherm connections (polarity unimportant).

You just need to make sure the OpenTherm control you want to use can adjust DHW temperature from the thermostat some can't. Our boilers disable the DHW control on the fascia of the boiler upon sensing OpenTherm because OpenTherm is supposed to be the master control, the boiler becomes just a kettle for hot water and needs to be told how to work.

Nest can control DHW temp as can EPH, Delta Dore, Thebens, some of the latest Honeywells but I haven't tested any; evohome cannot BTW, Danfoss cannot.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks @vulcancontinental , but we differ on opions at times , and I dont have 1 customer that would understand or want all that twaddle, they want to be able to turn their heating on and off nothing else , all very fancy yes but to be honest extremely amature looking, mobile phones give better displays, no way will I be trying to sell that set up

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. vulcancontinental

vulcancontinental

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I really wasn't trying to sell you the vokera stat, you were doubting whether the easi-heat had OT, it does, and the video shows you how to connect our opentherm stat, or any opentherm stat such as the nest to the boiler board. That's all. Nest can be connected by following the video instructions but substituting the flying lead connections. I know fully well you wouldn't use ours but the video was easiest way to show you or the OP if he wanted to try nest OT with the easi-heat..

Personally the gains from OT I think are marginal and would be almost matched by the standard programs in the nest anyway. The extras that don't impress you do impress me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1