Possible to replace UT2 programmer with Nest thermostat E Heat link?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a nest thermostat E that I want to install in a house without a pre-existing thermostat. It has a British Gas UT2 programmer connected to the boiler.

Is it possible for me to replace the programmer with the heat link or will I need to install the heat link separately?

Could anyone give me/direct me to information on how to do this? If you need more information from me please let me know.

The heat link has has the following wire inputs: C / NO / FP / OT1 / OT2

wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In your post title you say 'UP2 Programmer' but in the text you say 'UT2'. Looking at your photo of the wires, I assume it is actually a UT2 single channel programmer as below [the UP2 is a dual channel product]

UT2.jpg

In which case the 230V supply L and N are not required by Nest-e (because it's battery operated) so the blue and brown wires should be isolated / insulated safely. I usually put them in separate screw connectors and tuck them out of the way. Do not connect them to the Nest-e.

The black wire now in terminal 1 goes to UK Nest-e 'C'

The grey wire now in terminal 3 goes to UK Nest-e 'NO'

In your post title you say 'UP2 Programmer' but in the text you say 'UT2'. Looking at your photo of the wires, I assume it is actually a UT2 single channel programmer as below [the UP2 is a dual channel product]

View attachment 210554

In which case the 230V supply L and N are not required by Nest-e (because it's battery operated) so the blue and brown wires should be isolated / insulated safely. I usually put them in separate screw connectors and tuck them out of the way. Do not connect them to the Nest-e.

The black wire now in terminal 1 goes to UK Nest-e 'C'

The grey wire now in terminal 3 goes to UK Nest-e 'NO'

Great. thanks for your help, much appreciated. What about the earth wire? not sure if there is an earth input on the Nest E

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back