Vokera Excel 80SP Service and Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a Vokera Excel 80SP Combi boiler, it's not been serviced for a few years. Last time I had an issue with it I had lots of problems, and got a fixed price repair from Vokera who replaced all sorts (boards, expansion chamber, valves, etc etc etc) and it's been great since. However it's recently started dripping from the overflow.

When I say "recently", what I mean is I'd drained my system from a radiator to replace a TRV, topped it up too much (gauge stopped reading briefly) and turned the relief valve tap to reduce the pressure to normal levels - at which point it stopped sealing, which I understand from reading is a common issue.

So I called Vokera to get a price for a service and a replacement of the valve. Fixed price service is £125, but the only other option to include replacing the valve (and pressure gauge) is £268. Back in the day when I had lots replaced that was a good price, but for what I believe I need doing it sounds expensive.

Question is - if I find a local company to do the same work, i.e. service (proper service including fitting service kit, not just vacuuming it out as I've had in the past!) and replace the valve (and possibly guage), could I expect it to cost up to or more than that? What I'm slightly worried of is them finding something else wrong and the costs quickly escalating.

I know this is a fairly old boiler, and had thought of replacing it, but it's in the attic on 15mm gas feed, which I know would need replacing - and the piping is boxed in and wallpapered through a bedroom and kitchen, as well as under a floor covered with laminate so it would be a huge house-wide job which I don't really have the appetite for at the moment!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What "service kit" do you expect to be fitted?

I would expect a local independent to charge about £119* to come and replace the PRV, service the boiler and replace the hot water diaphragm as these have a rather short life on your model.

Its well documented that you should not use the PRV to drain the boiler. In your case as its in the loft I dont see what use it would have been to you anyway.

Tony

* That is assuming the loft around the boiler is properly boarded and has effective lighting so the work can be done easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back