Vokera Excel 80SP Upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it is time to upgrade my Vokera Excel 80SP combi boiler. It's about 10 years old and although it is covered via a repair contract i am looking for something more effecient.

The Excel has recently had loads of new parts and works O.K, but the engineer has advised that combi's have come on a long way, so my plan is to choose something that is very efficient and sell the Excel for parts.

First question - what do you suggest i look at.

Second question - Do Vokera do a high efficiency combi that will fit without having to alter pipework etc

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
you wont get very much for the old boiler with regards to spares but Vokera do the Unica range, which are great boilers for the money, sedbuk band A rated and will pretty much go straight on the old pipework (with a little messing about!)

A modern boiler will be lucky to save you more than 10% off your gas bill ie very little on the typical property a combi is installed in. Have you got thermostatic radiator valves on most of the radiators and a correctly located (and setup) room thermostat?....these will have a bigger impact on gas savings. The cost of a new boiler will pay for considerable insulation....that will cut gas usage far more than a modern boiler.

Combi's have changed very little from a users point of view....you will notice no perceptable difference having a new boiler unless you are after an increased hot water flow rate (that many users actually rarely require). Inside though boilers have changed considerably....mainly due to severe cost cutting and legislation.

The scrap value of your Vokera is around £2.00 a Kg for the copper and brass. Won't be much demand on fleabay.

Keep the boiler...it's one of the most reliable and well built combis ever sold.....considerably better built than anything around today. Its certainly more robust than anything around today.

Modern boilers often require the gas pipework to be upgraded (very few installations were correctly piped at initial installation), a connection to the drainage system is required, and the flue position may need to be moved. Most condensing boilers require a proper annual service to have any hope of a warranty (that are often of dubious worth) so this negates the potential gas savings.

If it's only for financial reasons, keep the boiler.

Sponsored Links
if it were mine I would keep it. Invest the money I would have spent on new boiler.

If your boiler needed loads of parts, I suspect it has not been serviced for a few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back