Vokera Maxin leak nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a maxin 28e and its recently sprung a leak :cry:

The good thing is I know where from, the bad is I'm unsure what to replace (I think perhaps vokera part 0870) but cant decide if its part 0870 or part T0058 which is substantially more costly, and perhaps the wrong part.

I noticed an empty screw hole, and put in a screw thinking the old one might have worked lose due to hot and cold cycles. It didn't help, and the other remaining hole leaked.

There are i think 3 screw holes in the DDM that the water can leak from. One is factory sealed with a screw and two remain "open". I've attached an image (shot from under the boiler) and you can see my screw in place, along with evidence of leak (white deposit on DDM)..

Hot water and radiators all work as they should btw..

Any Vokera experts or anyone who's suffered the same?, pic follows

View media item 30436

Sponsored Links
The only option is to remove the diaphragm section and see where the leak is coming from.Best advice is to replace both seal assemblies.Not the easiest but is diyable.Manufacturers instructions(if you have them)contain info under component removal/replacement.
Part 0217 for the manifold side.

Part No's0176 and0867 for the diaphragm housing.
Those last 2 parts are in a kit to overhaul the diaphragm assy and may pay you to do that while its out of the boiler.Don't know the kit part No,but someone will have it or your part supplier may be able to help.

The only option is to remove the diaphragm section and see where the leak is coming from.Best advice is to replace both seal assemblies.Not the easiest but is diyable.Manufacturers instructions(if you have them)contain info under component removal/replacement.

Yeah was thinking that, cant be the manifold itself, but don't want to replace a part for the sake of it. Just wondering _what_ would feed these screw holes (hoping someone's had one of these open in the past and knows the internal routing of water)

Those screws do nothing other than to secure both sections together.Water is not routed through that space.Look at the exploded diagram in your book and that may explain it better than I can in words.

Sponsored Links
either the seal around the diaphragm spindle is leaking or the seal around the diverter spindle is leaking. both are easy enough to change but i can't remember if the diverter seal is available seperately from the diverter assembly.

Those screws do nothing other than to secure both sections together.Water is not routed through that space.Look at the exploded diagram in your book and that may explain it better than I can in words.

Which is odd for two reasons,

1) That there would only be 1 screw used in this section (see my pic), another user on here has posted that they only have 1 screw fitted

2) that the water would be leaking from the bottom screw hole, have seen this myself and then saw it leak from another hole when i blocked the lower one :?:

edit: actually I think the water has found a way there but not normally routed there as posted above

To know what you want you need to decide if its system water or mains water leaking.

You dont mention system pressure needing repressurising often so the likelyhood is all you need is the 2mm "O" ring 0716.

If you know how tight to make the gland nut then you can get away with a little PTFE tape as an emergency repair for the next year.

Tony

To know what you want you need to decide if its system water or mains water leaking.

You dont mention system pressure needing repressurising often so the likelyhood is all you need is the 2mm "O" ring 0716.

If you know how tight to make the gland nut then you can get away with a little PTFE tape as an emergency repair for the next year.

Tony

Sorry should have said, i had a complete loss of water in CH a while back (house was empty as I was working away from home, but checked all rads and they are dry), couldn't figure it out, topped it up and its been losing water steadily ever since. I believe this constant dripping from the screw hole is the culprit as its dripping hot water from there at the rate of 1 a sec. Only when hot water is requested though.

Initially thought it was a problem with the PRV as I did top it up once and used that to relieve some pressure (assumed it might have dirt in it and was constantly stuck ever so slightly open).

I bought a PRV to fit today, when I spotted the leak from the screw hole. In fact you can see in the picture some white deposit as its been happening a while, its DIRECTLY on the DMM next to my new "silver" screw; which I've since removed as the water simply came out of another screw hole :rolleyes:

The was ONLY leaks from the screw hole in the DMM. The water is hot too so not mains water (if you see what i mean).

System DOES need re-pressuring because of the slow leak, eventually the CH runs of water pressure (due to leak from DMM screw hole) and the boiler (rightfully) refuses to fire.

That there would only be 1 screw used in this section (see my pic), another user on here has posted that they only have 1 screw fitted

Would be 2 screws.

Just wanted to update, T0058 fitted, leak gone and diaphragm (+ washers and piston type bits) replaced... result. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back