Vokera Red Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

Vokera compact 24
8 years old.

This boiler was here when we moved in. It's been pretty unreliable since.
CH has been OK but HW has to be run at a trickle in the winter or it runs cold. Also it runs hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold.

Recently the red light has started coming on and when I reset the boiler it will run for an hour or so then cut out. It seems to cut out quicker if I turn the temp down.

I am going to replace the items which, according to this forum, seem to cause the most problems and are the easiest to replace ( I am not trained, just proficient).

I have two questions:

1. Is the o/c DHW sensor the same as the DHW actuator? Or is it accessed from the back of the control panel?

2. Is it worth replacing these components
and in which order should I replace them
i.e. which is the most likely culprit: DHW Actuator
NTC Sensor
NTC Senspr
Primary Thermistor
Secondary Thermistor

NB. I suspect that NTC Senspr is a misprint in the manual and that primary and secondary thermistor are the same as NTC Sensor?

If there are any other components you think are within my scope to replace and are worth considering please let me know.

Sponsored Links
8 years old.

This boiler was here when we moved in. It's been pretty unreliable since.

That is because it is a cheapo boiler exacerbated by poor maintenance.

I am going to replace the items which, according to this forum, seem to cause the most problems and are the easiest to replace ( I am not trained, just proficient).

Unlikely

I have two questions:

1. Is the o/c DHW sensor the same as the DHW actuator?

No

2. Is it worth replacing these components
and in which order should I replace them
i.e. which is the most likely culprit: DHW Actuator
NTC Sensor
NTC Senspr
Primary Thermistor
Secondary Thermistor

Equally likely

If there are any other components you think are within my scope to replace and are worth considering please let me know.

No.

Sponsored Links
I meant competent in general terms not in terms of boilers. I feel able, with some help to replace some boiler components. If you don't want to help that's cool.

Chill out wee sacs

I meant competent in general terms not in terms of boilers.
As that is the subject we are talking about, that is the only subject that counts.
I am very proficient in anything to do with gfch, and I am sure I could change some parts on my car. But as I want it done properly, it is going to the garage next week to have it done by a pro who will know what needs doing and what is pointless.
But then again: I own a decent product (unlike you) which is properly maintained ( unlike yours) and I don't begrudge another man earning a good living out of his specialty. (unlike you)

The principle is called :common sense.

Paying a lackey to do what I can do myself for a tenth of the price doesn't sound like common sense to me. You really need to chill out my small sacked friend :0)

Paying a lackey to do what I can do myself for a tenth of the price doesn't sound like common sense to me.

The problem is: you can't.
That means:
It will take 10 times longer.
Random replacing of parts usually ends up costing more, so pay more, not less.

It is the understanding and application of this, that is known as: having common sense.

I doubt that you will ever understand it.

Do what everyone else does. Get a few quotes for the work (they have to tell you what's wrong and the parts you need) then do it yourself. ;)

people like you make me so angry - calling a sckilled/trained/experienced gas engineer a lacky!!

Calm down dear - it's only a forum. Let's face it you are hardly a heart surgeon are you?

What makes you think you are so important in the world?

what are you on? I just stated I think it's out of order people come on here and call pro boiler ebgineers lacky's !!

Do what everyone else does. Get a few quotes for the work (they have to tell you what's wrong and the parts you need)
As usual Joe, you are wrong.

When I go to look at what's wrong at the boiler, I'll tell them how long it will take and how much it will cost, but not what is wrong.
I don't have to tell them what is wrong, I won't tell them what is wrong unless they pay me for it, and I make this clear on the phone before I go and see them.
I do offer the option of finding out what is wrong and telling them without engaging my services; it is called fault-diagnosis-only and costs £85.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back