Volkera boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a Volkera Combi which cuts out after a few minutes when both heating and hot water are being used. It is also now beginning to cut out when the shower is running.

The contractors sent out (5 times now) by the insurance company to repair it seem to have no idea what they are doing...other than ripping off the company I suspect.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
The most common problem with this generally reliable boiler is caused by dirt in the radiators blocking the plate heat exchanger. However this has an effect when using hot water only.

Dirt in the system is the fault of the installer failing to powerflush, or sometimes the user leaving the filling loop valve open. MOST insurance schemes do NOT cover this problem!!!

I am frequently called by homeowners to diagnose problems which the Home Insurance contractors have failed to identify correctly.

Usually the homeowner calls us first and then I repair it and they send the bill to the Insurance who usually seem to pay without question. The argument is the contractors made two or three visits and failed so the homeowner just wants it fixed. Sometimes the Insurance calls us directly as service agents.

On a few occasions, usually when the contractors say its beyond economic repair and a new boiler is required, I am called by the homeowner as an expert to diagnose the problem and the insurance then decide what to do.

An example last week, a boiler "needing a new expansion vessel and PRV" quoted at £324 by the contractors was caused by a leaking filling valve and we repaired the boiler for £90. Sometimes the contractors are just "looking for work".

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that informative reply - we were beginning to think getting someone other in was the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back