Volt Free Contacts

Are you happy with this terminology?

Kind Regards, John

I am because I learnt and understood it's meaning early in my electrical career as a neccessity because I was working on something that had them ie heating systems !
Not once did the semantics of the term confuse or irritate me !

Sponsored Links
Are you happy with this terminology?
I am because I learnt and understood it's meaning early in my electrical career as a neccessity because I was working on something that had them ie heating systems !Not once did the semantics of the term confuse or irritate me !
Fair enough, but I didn't imagine that there was much of an issue for most people who have an electrical career - those in any trade or profession obviously learn its terminology and jargon, no matter what it may be. However, bear in mind that this is a DIY forum.

As a matter of interest, how do you feel about the timer that EFLI mentioned, which is apparently described as "volt free" despite being supplied with a factory-fitted link between L of the supply and one of the 'volt free' contacts?

Kind Regards, John

Whether there is a link or not, the contacts do not introduce a voltage. Therefore they are volt free.
QED.

Sponsored Links
Whether there is a link or not, the contacts do not introduce a voltage. Therefore they are volt free. QED.
Hmmm. Does that not depend upon what you mean/understand by "contacts introducing a voltage"?

Take one of these timers, as bought (with link), and connect the power supply to it as per instructions. One of the 'contact terminals' (the only user-accessible manifestation of 'the contacts') will then be live. Do you really call that "volt free"?

Given your comment (and those of others) I suppose the question which begs itself is what arrangement (say of a timer) you would not regard as "volt free". As far as I can see, the only scope for changing anything would be the nature of the link - is your feeling that it is 'volt free' if the link is user-removable, but not if it's not - or what?

Many people undoubtedly think I'm being awkward, but I am genuinely becoming increasingly uncertain as to what people do mean/understand by 'volt free'.

Kind Regards, John

The contacts are volt-free, whatever the configuration of the timer (or whatever) as opposed to semiconductor switches, which will introduce a voltage drop.
I tend to describe them as mechanical contacts to reduce confusion among the ignorant.

The contacts are volt-free, whatever the configuration of the timer (or whatever) as opposed to semiconductor switches, which will introduce a voltage drop. I tend to describe them as mechanical contacts to reduce confusion among the ignorant.
Oh my goodness - so you regard 'volt free' contacts as those which don't introduce a voltage drop - is that the case? I hadn't even considered that definition! So would you say that an optically-coupled 'switch' was not 'volt free' because, although there is no voltage on it other than that provided by external connections, it does introduce a voltage drop in the circuit it is switching? Ironically, that's one thing I would have been quite happy to call 'volt free'!

To all those who are suggesting that the meaning of this terminology is 'obvious' (to all but 'the ignorant'), I would ask them to look at this thread, and also to Google for a definition of 'volt free'- whereupon they will find a vast array of opinions and 'definitions', and a good few discussions/debates/arguments about them!

One comment I saw in another forum is that 'probably the best definition' of "volt free" can be found in EN61131-2. I haven't a clue as to how true that is but since, by chance, I'm responding to 'the Standards man', would it perhaps be possible for you to let us know what it says?

Kind Regards, John

Normally I could John, but I'm away from my office, and using a brand new laptop that doesn't have the password for my online access.
I can tell you that the term isn't defined in the IEC online Electropedia http://www.electropedia.org/

This thread is just a load of nonsense (at least after BAS told him to check the wiring diagram). 'volt-free' is a technical term describing a piece of kit. The manufacturer instructions are (and need to be) clear to anybody competent to work with their kit.
There is no reason why, in any field, techical terminology and jargon cannot remain consistent with everyday English - and, IMO, a good few reasons (some relating to safety) why it should. Nothing will change my feelings about that.

Kind Regards, John

But the termonology is not applicable to every-day English. It is a specifically technical term.

Right, I've now found my login details and downloaded 61131-2, which does not have a definition for volt-free or voltage free, with or without the hyphen. :cry:

Fair enough, but I didn't imagine that there was much of an issue for most people who have an electrical career - those in any trade or profession obviously learn its terminology and jargon, no matter what it may be. However, bear in mind that this is a DIY forum.

Kind Regards, John

It is a DIY forum, where most of the advice is provided by practicing electricains, with contributions from experienced amateurs. You are the only person here who appears to have an issue with the term.

But the termonology is not applicable to every-day English. It is a specifically technical term.
Sure, but but the point is that it's using everyday English words, in an apparently everyday English phrase construct. When technical terminology uses it's own unique words, thats fine - if the technical term were, say, 'Bristol contacts', there would be no issue for anyone. However, in all fields, I have always been a passionate believer in the idea that when any discipline's terminology utilises words or phrases which have meaning, or apparent meaning, in terms of everyday English, then the terminology should remain consistent with that everyday English.

In any event, we now seem to be seeing some variation amongst even those who are not 'ignorant' as to what they think "volt free" actually means - which is obviously even worse.

Kind Regards, John

Right, I've now found my login details and downloaded 61131-2, which does not have a definition for volt-free or voltage free, with or without the hyphen. :cry:
Many thanks for looking - it all goes to prove that one shouldn't believe everything one reads in an on-line forum!

However, what about the rest of my response to you. Do you personally really regard "volt free" and meaning "voltage drop free"? If so, I suspect that there will be some who disagree!

Kind Regards, John

It is a DIY forum, where most of the advice is provided by practicing electricains, with contributions from experienced amateurs. You are the only person here who appears to have an issue with the term.
I have to say that I'm a little surprised that very few people have expressed any sympathy with my view - so your implication could be right. However, how do you feel that EFLI fits in with your statement? Also, stillp has come up with an unexpected (at least, by me) opinion as to what "volt free" means - do you agree with him?

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2";p="2521684 said:
Do you personally really regard "volt free" and meaning "voltage drop free"? If so, I suspect that there will be some who disagree!

Kind Regards, John
John, a voltage drop is one way in which contacts might introduce a potential. Being connected to a source of electrical energy is another. Whether that connection is removable or not adds a complication. Sorry, life isn't always simple. Just as with your examples of "nut-free" and so on. WHat precentage of "nuts" are permitted before something is no longer nut-free?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back