Volt free input blown on Worcester boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2 Worcester GB162-65 gas boilers wired to run together on one pair of on/off wires on the 2 way green terminal block marked WA. Our boiler installer did not mark these wires as volt free so another electrician connected them to mains when doing some time clock mods. One boiler now only works on manual only, using the front panel button, and the other gives a fault code 3Y (fan is running too fast) and fails to work at all, although fan is running and the display is fine. What is likely to have blown up?

Would it be the UBA3.0 module or the front display panel PCB (although displays are fine and control buttons work)? I traced the wires and the connector PCB that WA connects to is OK as it simply passes these wires onto another PCB/module, which is likely the UBA3.0.

This must be a relatively common mistake to make so I am surprised a fuse is not fitted to protect against this. I checked the 2 fuses I could find (one in UBA3.0 and one on connector PCB) and they are OK.

I have booked a repair firm but want to check when they repair it that I am being charged for the right parts and preferably that they arrive with the right parts.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This must be a relatively common mistake

Only by numpties.

Our boiler installer did not mark these wires as volt free so another electrician connected them to mains when doing some time clock mods

Why should he mark them? the electrician (who should be playing with boilers anyway) should have the sense to check what type of circuitry he is working on.

I have booked a repair firm but want to check when they repair it that I am being charged for the right parts and preferably that they arrive with the right parts

Why worry - the electricians will be footing the bill surely?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back