Voltage Free thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a voltage free thermostate that i want to connect to a pet cage heater, the heater is a 240v heater does anyone know where i can buy a switch that will take the feed from the voltage free thermostate and switch the 240 volts on or off.

Hope I made that clear i think i am looking for a voltage free changeover switch but after googling i cant find anything that looks useful.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What are the contacts on your themostat rated to (voltage and current wise)

And how much current does your heater pull?

What is the rating of the contacts (voltage and current), and what is the rating of the heater you want to control (watts)?

'Voltage free' means the device applies no voltage to it's output contacts, so it's up to you to supply the power it will switch.

If the contacts are suitably rated, you may be able to connect the mains to one side of the output contacts and your heater to the other.

If the contacts are rated to carry mains voltage but not at the current required by the heater, you will need a relay or contactor.

If the contacts are not rated for mains voltage,you will need a suitable power supply as well as a relay/contactor with a low voltage coil.

....And a suitable enclosure to mount everything in.....

Need more details on the thermostat and the heater. Is the stat of the 'central heating' type. These usually require a Neutral to work and will not switch great loads, which brings us round to the other question - what power rating is the heater ?

EDIT: Too slow :evil: ;)

Sponsored Links
You are probably better off ditching that stat and getting a heavy duty one.

eg the Honeywell T4360B1015 has changeover contacts rated at 16amps.

The heater is a 60w Tube Heater like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Watt-Tube-Heater-Greenhouse-Shed/dp/B000Y9Q8B2

The stat is a battery operated room stat so no voltage.

I know that i could get a heavy duty stat that would do the job but as I can think of lots of other applications for some sort of switch of a no voltage stat i am determined to use the no voltage stat. Do you think i am better of asking the question in an electronics forum? Can anyone suggest a good one?

While the stat is 'voltage free' (meaning it has a set of dry contacts, rather than a volatage output) the contacts will still have a maximum rated volage and current you can switch with them

60W is only 0.25amp so the stat you have will be fine.
Everybody thought you had a much larger load.

Use a 3A fuse to protect the heater & stat contacts!

Do we assume that you want the heater to switch on when it gets cold?
If so, you only need for the supply to the heater&stat to be properly fused.

Make sure all wiring is out of the way of sharp teeth & RCD protect the supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back