Voltage Optimiser adjustment

You can get modern LED's in various colour temperatures, including warm white. I defy anyone to tell the difference between my warm white LED's and tungsten ones, except by feeling the coolness of the lamp when running.

The spectrum of LED light is not continuous but consists of several peaks, it does not include much if any near infra-red

this chart from https://phys.org/news/2016-04-full-visible-spectrum.html

3-researchersd.png

760 nm is the start of near infra-red ( 760 -1500 nm )

The spectrum of light from an incandescent lamps is rich in near infra-red.

It is likely that the lack of near infra-red that causes some people to find "pure" light uncomfortable.

Light has in the past always included some infra-red and the body finds it unnatural to have light and no perceptible heat.

Maybe the low light receptors ( rods ) in the eyes of some people do respond to near infra-red as well as visible light.

Sponsored Links
Also,
IR travels a lot further than 6" from a bulb.
In air [Edit] >760nm there are few absorbing molecules for IR. Graph shows a transmission of near 80% above 800nm.

And so IR travels very well through air without being absorbed until it hits a surface (or someone).

Hence why the sun heats the surface of earth through 75km of atmosphere so well (and is then trapped when you have too much CO2).

Screenshot 2020-10-05 at 09.41.28.png

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_window

Last edited:
That is flawed logic. At a guess, a 100w bulb will be 10% efficient in producing light, 90% or 90w of heat. 90w of heat in a room will make very little difference in autumn and cost around 4 times as much as gas, for heating.
The efficiency of a device is how much energy in compared with how much useful energy out, you can't destroy energy so operative word is useful. If the heat is useful then it is included in the efficiency rating.

There will be loses as not all the heat with bulb being so high will get into the area of the room used be occupants. However the big advantage of radiant heat is it is nearly instant, so no need to pre-heat the room, but that instant bit is also its down fall, as you can't use mark/space ratio to regulate it, so only real way to use it is the regulate the back ground heat.

However the radiant heat is not only wasted in summer it could result in energy being used to cool it. This is not limited to use of tungsten bulbs, the same applies to cooking, so be it large fan, or full blown AC unit, if using gas hob for cooking instead of an induction hob means you also spend money cooling the room, then that also needs to be taken into account. We want the heat to go into the food, not the room.

This is repeated again and again, seems great idea to have double glazed windows with k glass, until you realise the room with bay window is now sitting at 32°C in the winter as the morning sun has heated the room and the TRV has been too slow to act so both sun and hot radiator have acted together. May be k glass fitted wrong way around, may be it should stop the sun heating the room?

But the whole point is a home is a complete unit, no good quoting efficiency figures between a condenser dryer and a vented dryer without considering the humidity of air drawn in and the heat thrown out when it draws air from the room.

So we can gain an advantage by controlling the energy used, but only when ALL things are considered, not just taken in isolation.

So returning to the optimiser, this method I did use years ago with a power supply to a radio, before switch mode, the transformer for the power supply had tapping, with 10 volt increments, so I had a relay which would switch to lower voltage tapping if the voltage dropped and back to higher voltage as volts increased to limit how much heat the 2N3055 transistor had to dissipate when regulating the output, it was not that successful, but principle was good.

I also had a problem with 110 volt 58 watt fluorescent fittings on the build of Sizewell 'B' power station, my quick mental calculations was if 116 volt then 58 watt would be 0.5 amp so 16A MCB so 25 fittings should be just under 16 amp so 25 fittings per string.

However the lights tripped, clamp-on ammeter showed actual current 20 amp, so took one fitted to experiment, the fitting had an auto transformer, 230 volt out, not quite centre tapped it was marked 110 - 0 - 127 volt from memory and moving the tapping reduced current from 0.8 amp to 0.6 amp, so first 20 fittings the tapping was changed, last 5 left as volt drop on cable, and it dropped the total to 15 amp.

So in the days of wire wound ballast the voltage was very important, but the place to adjust is at supply to fluorescents not the whole house.

As to the LED bulb, common to use a capacitor to limit current, so it would be interesting to see what they use with varying voltage, some have a regulator built in, marked 10 to 30 volt DC as to mains I suspect the fluorescent tube replacement uses a switch mode form of regulation. So reducing voltage with some items will increase current and with others it will reduce it. And as to wave form distortion when not directly connected to mains incomer, I really don't know.

There would need to be a modern study to see effects, but I suspect little point, today I would not dream of building my own power supply to power my radio, I would just buy a switch mode supply as now far better than the old ones and can cope with the sudden increase in current when PTT is pressed. With the old one I gave up, and fitted a lead acid battery to stop the effects of volt drop (mains hum on transmit).

Also voltage has dropped, when we went from 240 to 230 in real terms nothing happened, but when they started to fit solar panels the panels would trip on over voltage, so at long last the actual voltage was dropped, so now we really have a 230 volt supply, so no real point in the optimiser.

Sponsored Links
Also, ... IR travels a lot further than 6" from a bulb.
In air between 550nm and 760nm there are few absorbing molecules for IR (there is a IR absorption window).
And so IR travels very well through air without being absorbed until it hits a surface (or someone).
Hence why the sun heats the surface of earth through 75km of atmosphere so well (and is then trapped when you have too much CO2).
Perhaps through ignorance or misunderstanding, I'm pretty confused by most of that.

1... virtually all of 550nm - 760nm is visible light, not IR.

2... whilst it certainly seems true (from the chart) that there are "few absorbing molecules" in the 550-760nm range, the chart seems to indicate that as a region for which the transmittance is 'zero'

3... it was my understanding that (as with real 'greenhouses') what travels ("so well") from sun to earth "through 75km of atmosphere" is UV, which then gets converted to IR and hence trapped within the atmosphere.

It is certainly true that radiant (IR) heat does not travel too far, but I couldn't put any figures to that. If you are anything like as old as me, you will remember, from your youth, groups of people huddled in front of, and very close to 'radiant heaters' (mainly electric or paraffin), with hot fronts and cold backs!

Some clarification and/or education for me seems to be needed.

Kind Regards, John

The spectrum of LED light is not continuous but consists of several peaks, it does not include much if any near infra-red
To perhaps be a little pedantic, what you show is a 'continuous' spectrum, albeit one with multiple peaks.
760 nm is the start of near infra-red ( 760 -1500 nm ) ... The spectrum of light from an incandescent lamps is rich in near infra-red. ... It is likely that the lack of near infra-red that causes some people to find "pure" light uncomfortable. ... Light has in the past always included some infra-red and the body finds it unnatural to have light and no perceptible heat.
That is all true, but I think that it applies as much to (visible) red as to IR. We all know that (visible) red light appears 'warm', and I would imagine that in a (visible) red-lit environment, people might well perceive a given actual temperature as warmer than if the lighting were further towards (or included more of) the blue ('cold') part of the spectrum.
Maybe the low light receptors ( rods ) in the eyes of some people do respond to near infra-red as well as visible light.
No. As you would know if you go out at night, rods are minimally sensitive to ('visible') red (red objects are almsot 'invisible' at night, looking 'black'), let alone IR (i.e. they are much less sensitive to red the 'red-sensitive' cones) ...

upload_2020-10-5_14-33-34.png

It is generally said that the upper limit of human visual perception (as above, dictated by {'red-sensitive} cones) is around 740nm. Many other animal species (particularly birds and insects) have a much lower upper limit than that, being able to 'see' little, if any, red, but do have the ability to 'see' down into UV, hence below the lower bound of human perception. The only animals I've heard of that can 'see' (perceive) IR are some species of snakes, but there might be others.

Kind Regards, John

If you are anything like as old as me, you will remember, from your youth, groups of people huddled in front of, and very close to 'radiant heaters' (mainly electric or paraffin), with hot fronts and cold backs!
Yes it was coke or coal fires in my case, and the chairs had high back to protect from the massive draft from the door where house builders had never thought oh that fire needs air to work lets fit a local vent.

I think the main advance with central heating was not the control, but that it did not draw air from the room. And today we do get wood burners that do draw combustion air through ducts from outside.

I have seen the modern wood burner, and to run efficiently without particular emissions the rate of burn is very well controlled, too high and loss of heat out of flue, too low and particular emissions plus tar deposits, but we don't want a fixed output, we want to adjust the output, so it means massive heat stores so excess energy can be stored for latter use.

However we seem to have hi-jacked a thread, we were talking about voltage optimisers and how to adjust, and I am sure there must be a way to set the change point as it selects tapping, but what voltage do we want? The problem as I see it is once the load increases it switches out the auto transformer as it can't take the load, so any equipment must be able to work with the auto transformer disconnected, we did consider when the optimiser came out when drawing a heavy load there would be volt drop, so voltage lower anyway, however even that has changed, the solar charging means voltage is linked to time of day and solar generation as much as load, so high load at mid day could still have a high voltage. And it does not matter if you have no solar panels, if anyone on that supply has them, then voltage may raise.

So just can't see how today they can be used. If I want a fixed voltage supply to say a quartz halogen lamp, the way to do it is an electronic transformer and extra low voltage supply, not some thing which also adjusts voltage to my hifi at same time.

However we seem to have hi-jacked a thread, we were talking about voltage optimisers and how to adjust ...
We have (hijacked the thread) and we were (discussing the adjustment of 'voltage optimisers').

However, I have to say that I personally think that there is only one thing that one should do with a 'voltage optimiser', and that is not to 'adjust it' :)

Edit: (in view of my words having perhaps been misunderstood) ... Maybe it would have been clearer had I written something like "... there is only one thing that one should do with a 'voltage optimiser', and that one thing is nothing to do with 'adjusting it' :)"

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
We have (hijacked the thread) and we were (discussing the adjustment of 'voltage optimisers').

However, I have to say that I personally think that there is only one thing that one should do with a 'voltage optimiser', and that is not to 'adjust it' :)

Kind Regards, John

Or take it out and transfer it to the recycling bin :)

Or take it out and transfer it to the recycling bin :)
Was it not clear that that was what I meant when I wrote "there is only one thing that one should do with a 'voltage optimiser', and that is not to 'adjust it' :)" ?

Maybe it would have been clearer had I written something like "... there is only one thing that one should do with a 'voltage optimiser', and that one thing is nothing to do with 'adjusting it' :)". I've edited my original post accordingly.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back