Voltage Optimiser adjustment

BQW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ECO -Max RMH63 or EMH100 does any one know if or how you can adjust the out put Voltage on one of these......er bits of equipment. (Being diplomatic) .

Sponsored Links
Aren't they preset?

From the website....

The Eco-Max Voltage Optimiser simply reduces electricity supplied to your equipment and appliances. This works because all electrical equipment must operate in all countries in the EU – and the UK power providers supply voltages at the top end – more than 240v.

Other countries supply electricity at 220v or lower. So your equipment is consuming more power than necessary. The Eco-Max Voltage Optimiser ensures electricity supplied to your equipment is exactly what it needs with no loss of efficiency.

The Voltage Optimiser is manufactured to highest standards in the UK and is easily installed by a qualified electrician.

It is a “fit and forget” solution, maintenance-free and with a no-quibble 5-year warranty.

That's what I was wondering, I was contacted by the Company who sold the thing to a gullible elderly Lady, and was asked to visit the home check the Voltage and adjust as required, Out Put from the Eco Max is 230.7 Volts on my calibrated Fluke Meter, so acceptable, but I could not see any obvious means of adjustment or access to the internal components. Never seen a domestic one before so didn't want to poke around too much .
The Company downloaded me a Tech Date sheet, but no mention on it of Voltage adjustments.

Their advertising claims there are 3 settings -6% (15V), -8% (20V), -10% (25V) (presumably taps on a transformer), but they appear not to be prepared to publish a manual. My opinion of thieves like these is not printable.

Sponsored Links
And in any case these devices will make no difference at all to the power consumption of anything containing an SMPS.

So if its putting out 230.7 Volts, we can assume its on the lowest 6% setting.
According to what I've read it uses a Toroidal transformer of some sort.
Thanks for that info.
No problems encountered with Switch Mode power supplies, its her Oven, its obviously taking a longer to get up to temp, I observed it was basic Currys Logik type (Beko in disguise I think) any way.

And in any case these devices will make no difference at all to the power consumption of anything containing an SMPS.

Nor anything with a thermostat, e.g. electric ovens, which will simply be on for longer, nor things like kettles which will take longer to boil.

Incandescent lights will use less power, but will be dimmer.

And you still have the loss in the transformer.

I think there is an argument that motors can be more efficient.

Incidentally, has any one seen their sales pitch you tube Video using the Hair dryer ? You can smell the BS.

Nor anything with a thermostat, e.g. electric ovens, which will simply be on for longer, nor things like kettles which will take longer to boil.

Actually, it will reduce the power consumption - i.e. the RATE of energy usage. It will not reduce, and may even increase, due to greater loss to the environment, the total energy used.

A roughly drawn image of how they work

voltage  optimise principle..jpg

The little transformer produces 10 or 20 volts AC which is fed anti-phase to the larger "transformer" thus reducing the voltage on the output by 10 or 20 volts.

The large "transformer" is not operating as a true transformer but as a type of choke.

In modern devices the little transformer is an electronic device.

The previous comment about them being a waste of both money and energy are valid. The only benefit is when supplying power to incandescent lamps where a lower voltage can prolong the life of the lamp. But then the same effect can be obtained using a simple step down transformer

Thanks Bernard, I get the principle now, I did wonder how they got the thing that small.
I have only previously seen an enormous industrial types, that I assume was just a Autotransformer.
And what a tale of woe that caused.

Other countries supply electricity at 220v or lower. So your equipment is consuming more power than necessary. The Eco-Max Voltage Optimiser ensures electricity supplied to your equipment is exactly what it needs with no loss of efficiency.

The Voltage Optimiser is manufactured to highest standards in the UK and is easily installed by a qualified electrician.

It is a “fit and forget” solution, maintenance-free and with a no-quibble 5-year warranty.

They are a complete total con to catch the gullible with techno babble speak. They produce waste heat, reducing your voltage, but to what purpose? Your 240v lamps will be much dimmer, so you will need more lamps for the same result, your fridge/oven/kettle will be on longer, due to the lower voltage, your TV PC will consume more watts, to achieve the same output.

With pre-HF fluorescent lights they could save a lot of power holding the voltage down but since the electronic ballast, they are pointless.

Pointless with e-ballasts, but whilst saving power with the iron ballasts, they would reduce the light output. If you don't need the amount of light, reduce the number of lights or use lower wattages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back