voltage pen question and strobe light

K

keendiyer25

morning all this question may be a bit random but i have always wondered about these voltage indicator pens that are usually 1000ac rated that light up red when it detects live ac voltage however when im testing a strobe and its operating the voltage pen doesn't light red like it would do on a normal 240v plug/light ect

is this because the strobe is more than 1000v and above the range that a voltage pen can detect so it doesn't light. the pen works on a normal 240v cable but doesn't work on the strobe why is this? what are your opinions

don't worry i am aware about the dangers of strobes and have no intention of touching them i was just wondering why the pen doesn't light up near them like it would near a cable cheers

Sponsored Links
If it is a single contact pen then it relies on a capacitive coupling to ground to complete the circuit. That is via the body of the person holding it.

Capacitive coupling only works with AC. the high voltage in the strobe is DC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back